• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
coderWalker

Multiplayer for building game

This topic is 2530 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am working on a 3d fps building game utilizing voxels with a visual style similar to Minecraft.
water.png

I am now at the point where I want to add online play to the game.

Does anyone recommend any C++ Networking libraries that would help with this?
These libraries must work with Windows, Linux and Mac at least.

I stumbled upon the boost.asio library today. Does anyone have any opinion on this library specifically?

How this will work:
One computer will be the server and all other clients.
When they request a change in the world the request will be sent to the server the world will be modified and then
a packet or message will be sent to the clients telling them of the change so their local copies of the world
will change.
Player positions will be sent every couple milliseconds.

Is there anything about the method that could be improved as well?

Advertisement
Boost ASIO is a fine general purpose multi-threaded cross-platform networking library. It doesn't give any higher-level structure, though -- no game entity model, event bus, etc.
Other libraries to look at may include Enet (needs light porting for Windows) or RakNet (don't know how the free version works on Linux.)

ASIO is sufficient to build a great game and server, yes. I don't know of tutorials other than those on the ASIO site, but I think those are pretty great!

+1 for RakNet. There also exists libraries like eNet ( C ), and Lidgren (C#),which are geared for games. Also, I am the author of a library called kNet (C++), which is built for a similar purpose.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!