Sign in to follow this  
XVincentX

Vertex Skinning help

XVincentX    129
Hello!
I'm trying to implement GPU Vertex Skinning with the help of Assimp Library.
However i've not understand what should i do and how a Skinning animation works.

Code Examples? Complete theory tutorials?
Thank you for your help!

P.S: already googled.

XVincentX    129
[quote name='Waaayoff' timestamp='1326041601' post='4900668']
First off you will need to understand how skinning animation works. [url="http://mathinfo.univ-reims.fr/image/dxMesh/extra/d3dx_skinnedmesh.pdf"]This[/url] is an excellent article that explains it. Try to understand the theory and ignore the DirectX specifics.
[/quote]

YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!
I'M GOING TO READ ALL YOUR POST!
p.s: i already managed entire static scene loading with texturing and all vertex data (except bones)

Lleran    100
I have one question about the animation. This is a quote from the Assim documentation ([size=4]aiNodeAnim Struct Reference[/size]):
[quote]
The name specifies the bone/node which is affected by this animation channel. The keyframes are given in three separate series of values, one each for position, rotation and scaling. The transformation matrix computed from these values replaces the node's original transformation matrix at a specific time. [b]This means all keys are absolute and not relative to the bone default pose[/b].
[/quote]
But... Does this mean that the keys of the node (in other words - matrix) are relative to its parent node?
I am embarrassed by the word "absolute".

larspensjo    1561
[quote name='Lleran' timestamp='1326364693' post='4901953']
I have one question about the animation. This is a quote from the Assim documentation (aiNodeAnim Struct Reference):
[quote]
The name specifies the bone/node which is affected by this animation channel. The keyframes are given in three separate series of values, one each for position, rotation and scaling. The transformation matrix computed from these values replaces the node's original transformation matrix at a specific time. [b]This means all keys are absolute and not relative to the bone default pose[/b].
[/quote]
But... Does this mean that the keys of the node (in other words - matrix) are relative to its parent node?
I am embarrassed by the word "absolute".
[/quote]
I complained about that one also, as it is clearly misleading. Yes, the keys are relative the parent node. I think the reference to "absolute" means that it is not relative to the mesh transformation matrix you also find in the node tree. This last matrix isn't used when doing animations.