Team communication software

Started by
14 comments, last by adamspade 11 years, 8 months ago

Hello, I am interested in what software you guys use to communicate between team members over the internet (ventrilo, email etc.)

This is not about me looking for a bunch of suggestions as much as just an interest in seeing what else is out there.

Here is my list:

1) ventrilo

2) MSN messenger around 5 years back (very easy to send files by dragging and dropping onto chat screen)

3) Drop Box for file management

All 3 also offer android support which makes it easy to keep in touch when your not near your computer.

Advertisement
On a recent project we used
Tortoise SVN, Trillian, Mantis

And on another we used
Dropbox, oDesk, Google Docs

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

We use Skype, Google docs, Trac (wiki & tickets)
Currently work with multiple outsource teams.

We use:

1. Skype
2. Dropbox
3. Google Docs
4. Basecamp
Microsoft Lync is easily the best thing I've ever used:
http://lync.microsoft.com/25thhour/pages/default.aspx?EP=200101185

IM, file transfer, persistent chat rooms (so you can join a room and see what has been discussed), video conf.

Doesn't cover bug tracking and document store, but there are plenty of good options there.
Assembla (see link on gamedev page) or Redmine as ticket / tracker system. Altough I think assembla is quite good (I'm in love with the cardwall tool)

MSN as Instant Messenger / Mumble as voice chat

And the most important thing: these tools might be great, nothing beats real-life, face to face communication and a wall with post-its ;)
Hmm.

Well here is what I use.

1) Team Speak for team voice meetings
2) Skype for one on one IM on the days we don't have team meetings.
3) Email for communication that needs to be documented
4) Trello/Cohuman/Wunderkit for PM/task management depending on the project style.
5) SVM for versioning/document/asset storage
6) Dropbox for backup of above files
7) Group Forums for a general hangout.
We've been using Fisheye for source history (shows commit messages, can create rss feeds for commits, view project history across multiple branches, and lots of other stuff) and Crucible for code reviews.

Jira + Greenhopper is a great tool for agile planning, and bug/issue tracking.

MediaWiki is a good free tool for a general purpose scratch pad, I use it to store url links, and non-source documentation (high level overviews, checklists for adding new subprojects / adding files / checking out and building source).

Microsoft SharePoint is a great multipurpose tool if you can afford the license + SQL Server + the time to administer it. Only really useful to larger organizations.
My suggestions:

1. Skype for people
2. SVN for code

Good luck
Jira & Trello depending on budget and size of team/scope of project.

I still tend to setup forums too, as I think they cater to some communication needs... *looks at screen*

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement