Information please.

Started by
11 comments, last by BCullis 12 years, 3 months ago
Hey People, I'm Hatuey (the H is silent) umm I am relativity new to the whole programming scene, but have always been dying to learn and be about it, so here I am. So basically, if i am using Dev C++ 4 how much could i do with it being that its free and all that. Can I create my own graphic as sophisticated as CoD or even GTA, Can i create a peer to peer connection, so computers can connect online through games or other internet based interfaces, Can i create my own map and make an online world?; from right at home.
Advertisement
http://www.jasonbadams.net/20081218/why-you-shouldnt-use-dev-c/
Ok, but whats stoping me from learning to update it once I learn the ropes it would be great for open source; Microsoft is like comforming to the man. lol
As Madhed said, don't use Dev C++. Use Visual Studio Express, Code Blocks, or CodeLight.

Theoretically you could create something like the games you mentioned, but those are created by teams of people working for several years. Start off with something small. Text Guess-The-Number games are often recommended as a good place to start. I like Project Euler a lot (it forces algorithmic thinking in my opinion). Once you have done some text based stuff then move onto some simple graphics games like Tetris, Breakout, or a Virtual Pet game (that could be done as text based also). For these 2d-games I recommend a graphics library like SDL or SFML, but you could dive into DirectX or OpenGL or OS APIs for 2d also.

There is a getting started FAQ somewhere on this site that you should probably read. There is a lot that you can do by yourself, but creating a AAA title isn't one of them. At best, you can hope to get lucky and make something very creative that happens to be the next big thing (like Minecraft). Second best would be finding a group of other people that have the will to see something through to completion to create with.

Good luck. Hope you stick with it.

P.S. Minecraft took somewhere between 2-3 years, and even that had several people working on it for most of its development.
SO again, im at square one i just want to learn to create peer to peer connection and gaming maps and what are the required codes that i need or packs, engines; i don't know the lingo very well just yet, That is why I am here sorry for the wait.
What if we don't start from scratch and use the stripped bare version of the same engines and interfaces used by modern top dog games can that be done? And build visually sophisticated graphics and peer to peer.
For example, do you see how most computer games are windows live, therefore if you have a hacked version you can't use the online? And also how there are mods to modify the games. What if we build our own online worlds for those same games for our communities and use mods rewrite the games. can these developer programs help us accomplish this?
Most of the big engines have a "free for non commercial use" policy nowadays. http://udk.com/ http://mycryengine.com/ http://unity3d.com/
They have networking integrated. You will still need top notch programers and artists to create a game that can rival the big players. Good luck
Non commercial meaning that it can't be used to make money right? or that only i can play the games by myself.

For example, do you see how most computer games are windows live, therefore if you have a hacked version you can't use the online? And also how there are mods to modify the games. What if we build our own online worlds for those same games for our communities and use mods rewrite the games. can these developer programs help us accomplish this?

Modding is actually a lot easier, and probably won't even require C++ coding. Maybe scripting languages like Lua, but probably not C++. If you are trying to recreate a server for those modded games to run on, that requires reverse engineering and may easily require additional tools plus a lot off skill and knowledge.

P.S. Non-commercial usually means that you can't make money from it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement