• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Assassin7257

Outputting an Integer and Manipulating it.

This topic is 2529 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I'm making a lottery game, I got the three slots and all. But all I have left, is how to set a certain amount of credit, say 1500 and decrease everytime the user clicks "insert credit". How would I decrease it ?

Advertisement
We need way more information (like language and libraries used) if you want detailed help, but this is basically going to be a case of

- having a 'money' variable stored in an appropriate scope
- when the user clicks the button, decrement this value then update the display

I take it you're making a graphical user interface. Rather to us an integer or a float depends on if you're going to allow someone to insert fractions of a credit. If you allow only 1 credit at a time, which seems to be most sensible, us an integer. Once you detect that the player clicked insert credit, credits = credits - X (X being number of credits inserted) or credits-- to decrease by one.

As to converting the number, in C++ you can use std::stringstream like so

std::stringstream ss;
ss << credits;
std::string creditString = ss.str(); // returns string representation of credits.

|error: cannot convert 'std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >' to 'SDL_Surface*' for argument '3' to 'void apply_surface(int, int, SDL_Surface*, SDL_Surface*, SDL_Rect*)'| I did what you said but all I keep getting this error, How would I show it on the screen ?

As I said, input the string to the SDL_ttf library (it has a function called TTF_WriteText or something like that which takes a character string and produces a SDL_Surface with the string in graphical form). If you are using stringstream, you need to transform the std::string into a char*, which should be possible using a function called c_str() (or something like that)

That's because apply_surface is expecting a pointer to an SDL_Surface struct and you're trying to pass it an std::string object. The streamstring only converts the integer into a string. As RulerOfNothing said, you can then use the SDL_ttf library to convert the string into a struct that you can feed to apply_surface.

Hidden
std::stringstream ss;
ss << score;
std::string creditScore = ss.str();

ss.str();

//apply surfaces
apply_surface( 0, 0, background, screen );
font = TTF_OpenFont( "lazy.ttf", 28);
message = TTF_RenderText_Solid(font, ss.str(), textColor);

apply_surface( 0, 150, message, screen);

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!