price factor: game music

Started by
15 comments, last by Azul 12 years, 1 month ago
This is an interesting thread. I was throwing around the idea of offering "budget" game tracks for indie developers. I wouldn't use my higher quality tools and they'd be simple loops of sufficient quality for a indie game. I'd make them a little preview of what an 'upgrade' to normal priced tune would sound like using better tools.

Curious to hear what others think of this. I figure some money is better than no money.
Advertisement

I wouldn't use my higher quality tools and they'd be simple loops of sufficient quality for a indie game.
[/quote]

Hmmmm, I disagree with this approach. I prefer to make the difference between "pro" and "budget" work related to price and extent of rights (usage) and not the quality of my work. After all - I'm putting my name on it. As such I make each song the best fit for the game and client's vision and do not sacrifice quality even if it's a low budget production.

I don't agree with or like the misconception that somehow an indie game doesn't require high quality artwork, story or sound. It's been proven that many indie titles have amazing content - they just usually have more limited budgets.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

I'm not saying an Indie game doesn't deserve full quality. But some simply can't afford it. Plus, I dont plan to provide anything thats half-worked or weak, just shorter loops or less complicated tracks. It takes a lot less work to make a synth-driven techno-ish or ambient track than a fully orchestrated theme song. I have just noticed there is a different amount of work that goes into composing certain types of music. Maybe this just speaks to my approach or lack of experience, I dont consider myself an expert at this point.

I'm not saying an Indie game doesn't deserve full quality. But some simply can't afford it.

The mistake you're making is assuming that quality of music costs more - when I don't believe it does. I can create high quality music for a client only wanting non-exclusive rights and is paying the lowest rate I can accept because I know I'll be able to re-use that music cue and it can still (and often does) reflect my company and work positively. It's the usage and ownership that can cost more. Simply lowering the quality of your music based on a client's budget is a bad idea and could risk giving you a bad rep over time. Instead strive to do your best each and every time - regardless if the client is paying $100 or $100,000.

Plus, I dont plan to provide anything thats half-worked or weak, just shorter loops or less complicated tracks. It takes a lot less work to make a synth-driven techno-ish or ambient track than a fully orchestrated theme song.

Your previous statement....

I wouldn't use my higher quality tools and they'd be simple loops of sufficient quality for a indie game.
[/quote]

...certainly paints a different situation. I urge you to reconsider your wording and how you approach these matters publicly as you might be giving off the wrong impression to potential clients. After all - how many clients start their audio search off by saying "we want mediocre!!!!" Not very many. smile.png No, most clients want the best they can afford.

Maybe it's not half worked as you put it - but if you're not using the higher quality tools just because of the budget it does leave a potential client to question "how good is this going to sound in the end?" On top of this is the fact that you're publicly saying you're not going to use the full power of your studio to make your work sound as good as possible. So as a client - what incentive do I have to hire you over another guy? Perhaps another guy who might even cost more but is telling me "I'm going to make this audio kick arse!! I'm so pumped! I have tons of great gear and ideas to throw your way!!"

Frankly your method - even if the music isn't half worked comes of as "hey, if you don't pay me what I think it fair, I'm not going to work very hard. I'm not going to use every tool I have to make your game's audio the best it can be."

Also you're making the mistake thinking that indie games do not need high quality orchestral music as well. Check out Sean Beeson - one of the best orchestral composers around. He's a great guy and very friendly. Much of his work is appearing on the iPhone and mobile devices. By most definitions that would classify as an indie project - certainly not at the level of a current-gen console project.

And besides making high quality synth-driven techno can and often does require just as much effort and attention to detail as a finely crafted orchestral piece. It just requires a different set of tools and approaches.

I have just noticed there is a different amount of work that goes into composing certain types of music. Maybe this just speaks to my approach or lack of experience, I dont consider myself an expert at this point.

I think everyone has their own individual strengths as a composer. I wouldn't say this is due to your lack of experience - simply just the individuality of each composer.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Thanks Nathan,
Those are some very good things to think about. I definitely feel I shouldn't be charging an arm and a leg since I'm just getting the proper tools to make anything really good. But maybe I'm selling myself short and the "budget" approach would just hurt me in the long run. I know years ago when I was making a game, the prices for music were prohibitive, which got me into making it myself. I clearly need to give the business side of it a little more thought blink.png
I always write music with the intention that it could be worth of an award since you never know who is playing the games. I also always write music in hopes I can resell it down the road, to other games, films, trailers, tv, ect.

Also, if I am not paid what I feel is a fair price, I simply won't take the work or will bargain with them until a compromise can be reached :-D That way I an ensure they are getting the highest quality music possible and that I am getting compensated fairly!

I say always do your best, and the best things will always come from it.
Sean Beeson | Composer for Media
www.seanbeeson.com
Thanks guys! You're giving me a lot to think about. I really appreciate it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement