• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
LakshmiNarayanan

M going to join certification course Help pls !

This topic is 2531 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys , after going thru the initial learning about how things work back in novemeber, i thought i ll join up certification classes as it might be of a little help

1 Thing i learnt is that C++ is NOT the cup of tea for game programming beginners. (I learnt C , C++ java all in my Bachelors degree (Computer Sci Engg) thats like basic + a little of advanced of theoretical knowledge and not much exp into high level coding)

Ok so i rounded it off to .NET and Java, Right now my aim is to learn a language which i can use it for game programming in future and my plan would be is to complete this course (work for a year in some software company mostly) and then do my PG in Computer Science Engg (which willl strengthen my programming skills as well as its very cheap compared to game programming courses and i dont find much difference as game programming companies hire "programmers / with exp" and getting a degree in Game Prog is not really of that an edge for the fees we pay for .

So my idea is to take up .NET now get certification and then do an Certification in android as well , m i making the right step, ill be doing PG / MS in computer science soon and hopefully get placed in a game company one day !

Advertisement
A programming language is only a tool, game developing is much more. Best to learn a few languages (OO: C++,Java,C# Script: lua,javascript ect.) to some extend. A language like C# or C++ in combination with .Net (which is a framework, not a language) is a good start.

Besides simply learning a language or a framework, I would learn to handle several (game developing related) topics like OO, multithreading, network , graphic pipeline, shaders, AI approaches, to get the hang of it.

Certification are more useful for getting hired, but it depends on the business and the certification.

Getting a programmer job is always a great idea to get experiences. When you want to get into the game industry I would sugguest to create a little portfolio of programming exercises. Little demos, small games, this could help a lot. Choose something you are interested in (i.e. AI,graphics etc.) and start a little demo in a high-level language.

Good luck smile.png

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!