• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Zethariel

Unity design/development question

This topic is 2521 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there!

I have this dillema, and hopefully maybe you guys can provide me with some tips or a whole different solution than the ones I came up with ^^

The game features 2 teams which fight in cruisers. Each cruiser has to be maintained and steered by up to 6 players which move within the interior of the ship. The game is played from first person perspective, with the option to view the ship in third person. My question is, how to create the ships that will move in space? There are 2 options:
1) Each ship will have a full interior within itself, and as the ship moves, the children attached to it (interior, items, players) will be moved according to the parent movements. This way, when a ship suffers damage, I can create raycasts that collide with certain children parts (walls, apparatus, players) and apply damage and textures. The downfall is that many objects would move at once and I'm worried about performance and network issues.
2) Create an interior away from the playfield (would have to cloack it somehow) and have ships only be simple models that represent the outer shell of the ship. This way, the playfield could be a lot bigger (as the ships could be a lot smaller scale wise than the interior). The downfall would be that upon receiving damage, determining where the ship was hit would be difficult (at least for me, although I still think I'd do a raycast whose origin would somehow be calcullated by the ship/projectile collision point and projectile movement vector).

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
The second option would most likely get you better rendering performance. From what I know about Unity3D (that is your engine right? even if it isnt the concept still applies), everything in the field of view is rendered, even if it is inside the ship and hidden by other objects.

About the hit checking, maybe break the ship up into smaller pieces? each only with a handful of polys. Unity has a function which allows you to combine child meshes to minimize draw calls.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!