Why You Need A Website For Your Music & Why You Shouldn't Go For Free

Started by
1 comment, last by jbadams 12 years, 3 months ago
Hey, how's it going?

I've spent the last few days listening to the music by producers and sound designers on these forums (and there is an insane amount of talent!), but I've been kinda surprised that not everyone has their own websites, and those that do have often gone for a free site from Webs or Wix or any of a hundred other providers.

I wrote a blog post a while back about why you should have your own website, and why you should actually pay to have that website. And we're not talking about millions here.

Check it out: http://jcbladebeats.com/blog/2011/08/producers-why-you-need-a-website/

You can feel free to leave any comments after the blog or here, I check back regularly.

JC
Advertisement
Hi JC,

I agree with many points of your article but I find it odd that you have a pictures of several industry icons on your own website. Do you have permission to use their images on your own company website? Likewise you're running banner ads - which is your choice of course - but that always takes away from the perceived professionalism of having a truly unique website solely focused on your craft and identity. Perhaps this is a theme that you're using but even so - I would highly advice having artwork and icons that only point to your company and your work. Just a suggestion - thanks for sharing the link.

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

I would agree with Nate -- and therefore disagree with one section in your article -- that banner ads seem out of place on a web-site designed to sell your services. The majority of composers and artists I know don't tend to support their portfolio sites with advertising, or if any ads are included they are limited to a personal blog inlcuded on the site (but which is not the main page visitors arrive at).

Other than that, I would definitely agree with your points about having your own url, as well as many of your points in favour of hosting your own site.

Thanks for sharing! cool.png

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement