Language help!

Started by
4 comments, last by daviangel 12 years, 3 months ago
Hey guys, it's been about 3 weeks into C++ console development and I am understanding things great!! I found a nice .pdf online.

Here is my problem. I want to start doing game development and this means in C++ having to get OpenGL or ..... all the other choices.

My question is: Would it be easier to learn C#, then use a simple engine like Unity? As I am simply a beginner and have not yet created anything.

In C++ it just seems like this huge process when in C# the book for game development looks way better the index seems to offer so many more things than C++ did where it had me create some tic-tac-toe.

The C# way may sound simple but I wonder if C++ way will be better for me in the long run as I hope to complete my own engine, 2D game with Sound, AI, GUI, and if I have time Multiplayer (Where 1 player is W,A,S,D and the other is UP,DOWN,LEFT,RIGHT)

I hope I was descriptive enough for a good answer.

Thanks a bunch in advance if your able to point me in the right direction and explain why? :D TY
Advertisement
It is in general easier to learn using C#, but you'll never get anywhere if you start over every 3 weeks.
I am not starting over every 3 weeks, I'm wondering 3 weeks in if I should change paths or not.

The C# way may sound simple but I wonder if C++ way will be better for me in the long run as I hope to complete my own engine, 2D game with Sound, AI, GUI, and if I have time Multiplayer (Where 1 player is W,A,S,D and the other is UP,DOWN,LEFT,RIGHT)

Are you under the impression that C# isn't capable of doing this? With some extremely small caveats, C# can do everything that C++ can, as can Java. Python, Ruby and LUA can as well, but there are more caveats.

Telastyn hit the nail on the head though, at this point, perseverance is probably more import than any other decision you make. In computer science, there are always other things to learn and other shiny bits and bobs to be distracted by, that if you don't learn to focus early, you will never accomplish anything.
No no no thats not it I know the languages are capable of these things, it's just I want the most of learning. C# seemed to have a bunch more stuff that the C++ book didn't so I was asking which would be better as a started; C#/Unity or C++/DirectX?

No no no thats not it I know the languages are capable of these things, it's just I want the most of learning. C# seemed to have a bunch more stuff that the C++ book didn't so I was asking which would be better as a started; C#/Unity or C++/DirectX?

Whichever one you pick there is way more stuff to learn than you ever will so the sooner you start the better as everyone already suggested!
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement