C# XNA?

Started by
3 comments, last by menyo 12 years, 3 months ago
Hello all!

First time posting and a big newbie question:

Have been trying to decide whatever langauge to start with (have never Programmed before, yes i know you heard it before!)

And i decided that my first langauge will be C# (Yes, im not one of them C++ new blizzard employe to be)

And was wounder before i start my journey!

When i start making or.. programming the games do i really need XNA? if so..!

Am i bound to XNA? Microsoft? or can i sell the game without having any kind of contract with them? like Steam or my own future company to be?

Or can I just start programming my game without it and just download the stuff i need, directx and so on?

Hope you understand what i need to know, English is my second language and its not an all day use for me!

edit 1: Okey to be honest, i'v been trying to find all kind of information about the stuff i have heard that im bound to Microsoft if and when i make game i want to distribut::
Would be happy if someone could enlighten me a bit about this stuff!
Advertisement
You're many weeks from needing to make this choice and many months from making a sellable game. Focus on your immediate needs and you'll often find your future answers along the way.
You're worrying about way too much. People make games in XNA all the time. They sell their games. Microsoft is not chasing after them and trying to take their game away. And no, no contracts. Promise :) First focus on learning the concepts and making the game. Once you have a finished product, then you can worry about other stuff.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Unless you want to see your XNA game on XBLA you are not going to have to pay for XNA. If you want your game on XBLA Microsoft is going to take out a fixed percentage of the price you put it on XBLA for.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

You don't have to pay for learning in almost all cases but when you commercially release something you should lookup the licenses you used. Xna has a very generous license, you can learn it for free and develop commercially for the PC with it for free. When you want your game to be on xbox live you just need a gold membership and they will take something off your profit, also you will only get payed once a certain treshhold has been reached but it's not very high. So XNA is a good choice imo. You have a lot of other frameworks which you have to buy to release commercially and most of the open source frameworks will only let you release as open source.

But like the other said, this is the least you have to worry about. To be able to make a game that has any value on the market you have to learn... a lot. So get visual studio for C# and start learning the basics only then move on to XNA or some other framework to help you out with game programmiing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement