Need MAJOR help please!

Started by
1 comment, last by kreig9 12 years, 3 months ago
I am a 2nd year programmer in a computer tech class in school. I need help in a couple of areas, and any help is appreciated!

mcGrass1.addEventListener(

How would I make it so that when one of my objects touch another, it moves to another frame? Need help finishing the above code.

if (mcMonster.hitTestObject(mcLine14)){
mcMonster.y -=20
}

Pretty much the same thing as above, but that it bounces off the "Line". The code above does not work.

function numberOne(low:Number=1, high:Number=99):Number
{
return Math.floor(Math.random() * (1+high-low)) + low;
}

Here, I am trying to generate a random number. But, I cant get it into a string so I can export it to a text box on another frame. Any ideas?

And lastly:

if numberOne + numberTwo == 100 >={
numberOne = 34 && numberTwo = 13

I am checking my two random numbers so as they dont equal over 100. It dosen't work. Any ideas?
Advertisement
>>How would I make it so that when one of my objects touch another, it moves to another frame?

The problem you are talking about in the first two items is called "Collision Response". Google for it. It can be tricky to solve, especially when objects are being pushed against other objects or into corners. Imagine fifty creatures in a long corridor, and you attempt to push them in deeper even though they are fully compressed into the corridor already. Good code can handle that.

>> I am trying to generate a random number. But, I cant get it into a string so I can export it to a text box on another frame. Any ideas?

Your solution for the first part is very close. Why are you generating a floating point number and then casting to an int? Just use an int directly:

Random rand;
return rand.nextInt(max - min + 1) + min

As for getting it to a string, Java's string classes provide many ways to do it. I'm sure you can find one or two through your IDE's autocomplete, or the web, or a book on the subject.

>>I am checking my two random numbers so as they dont equal over 100. It dosen't work. Any ideas?

I'm still trying to figure out how you even think that code does something useful. Do you understand what those operators actually do? Why would you think it does what you described?

Explain the logic to someone of what you are trying to do, make sure that logic is valid, then encode that specific logic.

How would I make it so that when one of my objects touch another, it moves to another frame? Need help finishing the above code.

It is called "collision response", and it can be very tricky. Imagine a long narrow corridor with 50 items in it fully compressed already. Then you try to push another one in. Google can help you find various ways to try to solve it.

if (mcMonster.hitTestObject(mcLine14)){
mcMonster.y -=20
}

Pretty much the same thing as above, but that it bounces off the "Line". The code above does not work.
[/quote]
Why would it?

Bouncing is usually reflection over the normal. It can be simplified in 2D, depending on the rules for your lines. Search button results in this with formulas, among other good results.

Here, I am trying to generate a random number. But, I cant get it into a string so I can export it to a text box on another frame. Any ideas?
[/quote]
What part are you having problems with? Generating it? Turning it to a string? Exporting it?

if numberOne + numberTwo == 100 >={
numberOne = 34 && numberTwo = 13

I am checking my two random numbers so as they dont equal over 100. It dosen't work. Any ideas?
[/quote]
Why would you even think that would work?

Explain the logic you think would do it to someone else, make sure it is valid logic, then implement it.

What part are you having problems with? Generating it? Turning it to a string? Exporting it?

Thanks for the fast reply.

Sorrry for not being clear. I need to get it in my text box. It is a dynamic text box (meaning it can change). I can't get it into the box to show it.

Logic is that the numbers can not be over 100 (as the app is designed for Grade 3's).

I will look at the links and let you know if I need help!!

Thanks;
Zach

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement