• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Florian22222

ParticleSystem - Optimal count of particles for a fireball

This topic is 2519 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi!

I´ve created a particle system for a fireball. I was wondering how many particles should i use for a fireball if there will be a few(max. 10-20) in one frame. It´s good looking at a minimum of 80 particles. What would you recommend?

Advertisement
This is relative to the rest of your project. What system do you aim? PC? What minimum requirment do you aim? A casual game for low-end computer and a DX11 hardcore game will be very different. It also depend on the rest of the scene, if you have barely nothing you have more framerates to spare for effects. The solution is just to find a minimum fps wanted for a certain hardware, and count assets in every scenes to be sure never get under it.

if you have barely nothing you have more framerates to spare for effects

On the other hand, you don't want it to look out of place - if you are using low poly models and textures, you might not want to have an amazing, realistic and complicated fireball even if you can afford it.

Hi.
It really depends.
Among other things, on how you write algorithm and structure of data.
But dont worry, the most important thing is end effect, so you can make more particle.

For example in my parcisle system(in 2D) i make 2400 for fire ball, 1417 for the colored particles, 14566 for the last. This numer, of course, is number of particle in one moment.
It's big numbers, but it's really good working (in SFML).

This is relative to the rest of your project. What system do you aim? PC? What minimum requirment do you aim? A casual game for low-end computer and a DX11 hardcore game will be very different. It also depend on the rest of the scene, if you have barely nothing you have more framerates to spare for effects. The solution is just to find a minimum fps wanted for a certain hardware, and count assets in every scenes to be sure never get under it.

Thank you for your replies.
I aim for middle-ware graphic cards. It should have good graphics and there will be many effects on a frame(compare it to a raid in wow). What would you recommend? Are 100 particles that much or is it affordable?

100 should be plenty affordable, but you will want to benchmark on your target hardware and adjust.

Most of the cost of a particle system isn't in the number of particles you render. It's in the number of pixels that are blended with the back buffer (including overdraw). That means 50 particles that each cover most of the screen will almost certainly be slower than 500 small particles. That means unless you know where the camera is going to be the cost is very variable.

I'd suggest using one of these options:

1. Pick a setting which you know works well on your target hardware.
2. Give the user a setting to control particle density.
3. Automatically adjust the particle density based on frame rate.

Most of the cost of a particle system isn't in the number of particles you render. It's in the number of pixels that are blended with the back buffer (including overdraw). That means 50 particles that each cover most of the screen will almost certainly be slower than 500 small particles. That means unless you know where the camera is going to be the cost is very variable.

I'd suggest using one of these options:

1. Pick a setting which you know works well on your target hardware.
2. Give the user a setting to control particle density.
3. Automatically adjust the particle density based on frame rate.

Didnt know that :D I think ill use a default particle number, because 100 particles is about the lowest amount of particles that look like a fireball. Else it looks like some sparks.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!