• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
IonitaDaniel

Getting into graphics. Where to start? What am I looking for?

This topic is 2521 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello!

Ok so. I've recently gotten this idea of trying to make my own game(s).

I know some C++ from high school. But I’m a decently fast learner. I've begun refreshing my memory by reading some C++ tutorials.

I have created one game in high school, which was pretty sophisticated for my C++ skills. I wrote "Bantumi" with 6 difficulty levels, multiplayer and other settings. So I know I have some potential.

The thing is that, well I used <graphics.h> from what I remember to draw all the lines, numbers, squares etc. with code.

Now my question is. How do I get into real graphics? How can I create graphics with my mouse and than link them to C++ programming?

My first aim is to make pixilated games ... nothing to sophisticated... I have to start from somewhere.

I want to begin by coding some board games.

Thank you for your support and patience in advance.

Advertisement
Ok, you seem to be asking two questions in one.

There is the question of How do I create graphics? Which frankly is an absolutely massive topic on it's own. You can either start with a 3D app then create and render your scenes to create graphics, or you can pick up a 2D app and draw them by hand. On the 2D side, you can go with the free Inkscape ( line drawing ) or GIMP ( pixel drawing ), or a commercial application like Photoshop ( 700+$ ) or somewhere in between. If you have a tablet, Autodesk Sketchbook is a great drawing app for little money, to at least get started with. The over all subject of creating graphics is staggeringly large, a career in itself, and this isn't really the right place to get that knowledge.

Then there is the question of How do I create ( program ) graphical games? This too is a heck of a large question, but one that can be answered fairly easy. Read this guide as a start. It has the most popular graphic libraries broken down on a language by language basis. That part is going to have the greatest impact, as the language you choose will dictate what libraries are available. Assuming you are sticking with C++, SFML, SDL and to a lesser degree Allegro, are the 3 most common 2D graphic libraries people use. More details of each is available within that link, and are a topic themselves.

Thank you for your answer Serapth. But the "this guide" links to a "I want to become a developer tutorial". Also as I read there ...it says that C++ is a bad ideea and it also says that I shouldn't use Dev-C++ and I was actually planning on doing that. What is the general oppinion on this?

[Edit] nevermind my observation I found the graphics part.

Thank you for your answer Serapth. But the "this guide" links to a "I want to become a developer tutorial". Also as I read there ...it says that C++ is a bad ideea and it also says that I shouldn't use Dev-C++ and I was actually planning on doing that. What is the general oppinion on this?

[Edit] nevermind my observation I found the graphics part.

Yeah, the graphic stuff is on a language by language basis.

Coincidentally, it actually says "starting" with C++ is a bad idea, and general consensus around here will back that up; especially among developers with actual experience.

As to not using Dev-C++, don't use Dev-C++. It's from a time when it was needed, now it is not. There used to be no viable alternatives to VC++ on Windows for free. Now there are plenty of alternatives, all superior to Dev-C++.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!