If developers hate Boost, what do they use?

Started by
34 comments, last by Cornstalks 12 years, 2 months ago
So it sounds like mostly professional game developers don't use any Boost because game consoles and other target platforms have unique development constraints, etc.?

I use boost + STL + C++11 extensively professionally in the domain of HPC for basically computational biology, so, you know, it is out there. Obviously, we use faster libraries for core things -- use a proprietary library that is faster than uBlas for linear algebra, faster libraries than boost::geometry, etc. But I don't think this is surprising -- boost is generic and free. It is great a first choice for just about any domain or use case targeted by one of its libraries (with a few exceptions imho), but for high-performance code running through the critical path of a commercial product you want to optimize for that product ... which I guess is what the game guys are saying, essentially.

However, people who aren't using boost, do you use shared_ptr? -- because I think I draw the line in the sand there. At this point, haven't written the keyword "delete" in a couple of years and am not interested in going back.
Advertisement
Boost is a general, catch-all solution, solving mostly unimportant problems.

Being general, it lends itself well to prototypes that grow into production apps. Some parts are also quite lean.

But if going beyond the most basic MBA cargo culting, a company that employes even a semblance of decent programmers will find that providing alternative to boost is not that hard, or that boost doesn't offer sufficient advantage for anything non-generic.

Since apparently blas-like functionality tends to be used a lot by people here, it's one part I've never been all that impressed with. Graph library in particular is something I've found to be quite limiting and IMHO incorrectly designed for a general purpose library. It seems to assume stuff will fit into working memory or that computations will be small enough to not require interrupts or resumes or even progress reports, making the design a no-go from start.

However, people who aren't using boost, do you use shared_ptr? -- because I think I draw the line in the sand there. At this point, haven't written the keyword "delete" in a couple of years and am not interested in going back.

Two relevant points:
a) All PC compilers have shipped shared_ptr under the std::tr1 namespace for a few years now. It's part of the standard and all at this point.
b) You'll run into the same problem with consoles that you do with Boost - the likelihood of finding an embedded C++11 compiler (or even TR1) is about nil.

Also, on embedded there's a good chance you won't be able to afford to manage memory in such a haphazard fashion. As someone mentioned earlier, embedded devices don't have the kind of general-purpose caches that PCs do - you'll often have to massage your data to eek every little bit of cache coherency, and that tends to put paid to traditional C++ memory management...

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Also, on embedded there's a good chance you won't be able to afford to manage memory in such a haphazard fashion. As someone mentioned earlier, embedded devices don't have the kind of general-purpose caches that PCs do - you'll often have to massage your data to eek every little bit of cache coherency, and that tends to put paid to traditional C++ memory management...

Couldn't you use the intrusive version of shared_ptr in this kind of situation?

Couldn't you use the intrusive version of shared_ptr in this kind of situation?

What use is a smart pointer, if you are going to have to give up dynamic allocation entirely? Writing for the kind of resource constraints you face on a lot of embedded hardware is a whole other ballgame...

Now, there are plenty of mobile/embedded applications that can afford dynamic allocation and pointer chasing, but if you want to eke every last drop of performance, you have to make some sacrifices.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

First of all I have never used Boost. A little over a year ago I bought bjarne stroustrup's "the c++ programming language". I have learned a great deal about proper OO design since stroustrup spends a lot of time talking about design philosophy behind c++. I would be curious to know how well Boost follows this design philosophy? One design goal of c++ is to give the required tools to build powerful and extensive libraries. But often a library is built to go from point A to point D and fails to implement the B and C features properly b/c it's so obsessed with getting to D. Also in regards to the discussion about smart and shared_ptr, stroustrup devoted a section talking how to implement this ground up from the std lib. It's extremely useful but when I see people say to use a 3rd party lib to implement a feature this simple I think there a lack of understanding there. My experience has been that most commonly needed features are easily built on-top of the std lib (for this is what the std lib was designed for). Heck I even designed my own GC that is remarkably efficient and stable. All the parts to roll your own GC is there you just have to put them together. You will never learn how to do this if you use 3rd party libs all the time.

In addition to the fact that Boost isn't a single library (it's a collection of quite a few libraries), I'd say the attitude in most games studios isn't "hate" as much as "know we can't actually use it."

Boost libraries often rely heavily on template tricks, for instance, which may not work well on the compilers that are available for certain console platforms. There's also a tendency in Boost code to rely on certain performance characteristics that are true of mainstream desktop/notebook CPUs, but not necessarily valid on mobile or console processors. (Cache behavior is a big deal on a lot of those CPUs, for instance, whereas PCs just continue to get better caches.)

The reality (for me at least) is that I'd love to use Boost in a few places, but it just doesn't hack it. There's also places where it's a fine prototyping solution (e.g. asio) but really heavy-duty applications need special-purpose designs to begin with.

QFT.

There are also other reasons companies will avoid boost, or even the standard library. Quite a few programmers who come out of college these days have either been bottlefed on Java (or similar languages) or learned "C with Classes but no standard library except std::cout". Both of which tend to have problems. In the Java case, you have a very large standard library which tends to... filter you from the implementations of many common algorithms and containers (the number of interviewees I've met who couldn't write a simple hash map is quite startling). The C with Classes case is even worse though, as many times the people who come from that background have delusional ideas about how "non-performant" the C++ standard library is, or other strange misconceptions.

Thus when these programmers go on to actually become industry professionals and start doing development work... guess what? Yeah.

Boost can also be quite complex to learn and figure out, it is a very large set of libraries, and some of them have some pretty wacky inter dependencies. It can make debugging annoying (at best) and the compiler error messages downright unhelpful in many cases. This isn't really the fault of Boost so much as it is just a problem with compilers, templates, and errors. Visual Studio has gotten a lot better about its error reporting in the last few years, but GCC still makes you want to murder your nearest open source advocate.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

First of all I have never used Boost. A little over a year ago I bought bjarne stroustrup's "the c++ programming language". I have learned a great deal about proper OO design since stroustrup spends a lot of time talking about design philosophy behind c++. I would be curious to know how well Boost follows this design philosophy?

Boost is the pinnacle of C++ OO design.

One design goal of c++ is to give the required tools to build powerful and extensive libraries. But often a library is built to go from point A to point D and fails to implement the B and C features properly b/c it's so obsessed with getting to D.[/quote]

That's kitchen sink philosphy which is frowned upon, but prevalent in Java world. it's unrelated to C++. A good library goes from A to D in simplest and most straightforward manner.

Also in regards to the discussion about smart and shared_ptr, stroustrup devoted a section talking how to implement this ground up from the std lib. It's extremely useful but when I see people say to use a 3rd party lib to implement a feature this simple I think there a lack of understanding there.[/quote]

Last standard was 15 years or so old, back in the time when concepts like shared_ptr weren't fully understood and the goal was to fix the language so far.

Recent revision of standard provides battle-tested concepts from boost as part of standard library and integral part of C++, including shared_ptr.

My experience has been that most commonly needed features are easily built on-top of the std lib (for this is what the std lib was designed for).[/quote]

Building a thread-safe, compiler and platform-portable shared pointer is incredibly difficult, unless one is willing to take a huge performance hit. The number of hidden pitfalls stemming from pre C++10's standardization of threading and memory model related concepts made it an excercise if frustration of trying to work around platform and compiler issues.

Even new '10 standard had to back down on some requirements for extended standard library since original boost's design proved too cumbersome to consistently implement.

Heck I even designed my own GC that is remarkably efficient and stable. All the parts to roll your own GC is there you just have to put them together.[/quote]

Does it work, without single change, on iPhone, gcc 2.95 - gcc 4+, LLVM, android, Sparc, embedded custom boards and OSX, proven by thousands of applications using it?

That is what boost gets you. It's also a fairly irrelevant problem for many, since most applications tend to be built around vertical platform-specific stacks, rather horizontal layer that C++ alone offers (which is minimal).

Boost isn't used in many cases since products are strictly single platform verticals and strongest point of Boost (cross-platform/-compiler portability) doesn't bring much.

It can however be quite beneficial in *nix centric server side, where APIs are mostly consistent, but one offsets deployment to typical package providers, while boost takes care of odd architectural quirks one finds in such places.

You will never learn how to do this if you use 3rd party libs all the time.[/quote]

No, but few of us have time to reinvent such low-level concepts. There simply isn't time, when your project deadlines are measured in hours, instead of months or years.

Thus when these programmers go on to actually become industry professionals and start doing development work... guess what? Yeah.

You'll be hard pressed to get me to do anything in C++ without having boost, Qt or some other libraries as default.

Is something in these libraries interferring with my goals? Then they're out.

But the question shouldn't be whether to use boost or not. If should be whether OO-heavy ref-counted design is a good fit for problem being solved. Writing some UI and blob mangling app? It's fine. Writing HPC or real-time app? Throw it out. While you're at it, just use C.

There is no problem with libraries. They are fairly passive, boring and just tend to sit there. As for developers? Some are good, some are bad, some learn, some don't.

I have yet to see lack of libraries correlate with improved quality of design. In most cases, developers end up sticking with first thing they hack together that works. But I have seen Boost and related materials offer starting point for study into advanced areas of C++. For the motivated ones, it will provide a glimpse of what is possible or what others have done and serve as a starting point.

It's an optimization problem - not about code, but about hiring and management processes. Some developers, at a given time lack the necessary understanding. Whether they have boost or not, they lack required knowledge and more importantly experience to use alternatives. And considering most don't have a choice about their peers - let them use boost, at least they'll have some solid foundation, since what they'll invent by themselves will not be better.

Everything today is about time and deadlines. Given enough time, everyone could learn the in-depth problems. But a project that needs to be done this week - it's about trade offs. Seasoned developers will use alternatives if needed, the others simply don't know any (yet). Whether a library or NIH.

At this point, haven't written the keyword "delete" in a couple of years and am not interested in going back.

I see this around a lot. I have to say, I choose to embrace the idea of keep using "delete" as I did in the last 20 years just to avoid having my code polluted with all that shared_ptr<Whatever> that makes C++ seriously fugly.

I think C++ needs a new keyword/operator for that, kind of what microsoft did using the "^" for .NET managed references in C++.

bool GraphTraverser::traverse(Node^ node);

instead of the ugly nonsense of:

bool GraphTraverser::traverse( shared_ptr<Node> node );

typedeffing shared_ptr<Node> into something else wont cut it either.

I'd rather write delete once (99% of the time it is in your destructor) than shared_ptr<blabla> over and over again having nightmares about circular references never cleaning up.

sorry to be OT, I had to rant

Stefano Casillo
TWITTER: [twitter]KunosStefano[/twitter]
AssettoCorsa - netKar PRO - Kunos Simulazioni

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement