• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
reducer

Unpack DEC3N & UDEC3

This topic is 2520 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,

I have a small tool that im using to convert some mesh files. The mesh files have the normal's stored in either DEC3N or UDEC3 format. How do i unpack that to 3 regular floats cpu side.

Thanks heaps for any help,

Advertisement

Hi,

I have a small tool that im using to convert some mesh files. The mesh files have the normal's stored in either DEC3N or UDEC3 format. How do i unpack that to 3 regular floats cpu side.

Thanks heaps for any help,

DEC3N =INT_10_10_10_2
UDEC3N=UNSIGNED_INT_10_10_10_2
with x,y,z of the normal have 10bits, w has 2 bits.

Take a look at this here.

Quick idea:
DEC3N
uint32 compressedValue = ...
float x = float((compressedValue>>22) - 512)/511.0f;
float y = float(((compressedValue>>12) & 0x3ff) - 512)/511.0f;
float z = float(((compressedValue>>2) & 0x3ff) - 512)/511.0f;
UDEC3N
uint32 compressedValue = ...
float x = float((compressedValue>>22) )/1023.0f;
float y = float(((compressedValue>>12) & 0x3ff) )/1023.0f;
float z = float(((compressedValue>>2) & 0x3ff) )/1023.0f;

One other question, when using this format with just regular normals is the w component required for anything?
I thought i read somewhere a game (maybe one of the sims) used the w as some sort scalar & they divided xyz/w.

Sorry i am fairly new to c++ and bit shifting and the like is something i am yet to 100% understand. Is this correct for [color=#000000]UNSIGNED_10_10_10_2?

[color=#000088]
float w = float(((compressedValue) & 0x3ff) )/3.0f; //2^2 - 1 = 3

[color=#000088]0x3ff are 12 bits, you only need to use 2 bits:
[color=#000088]
float w = float(((compressedValue) & 0x3) )/3.0f; //2^2 - 1 = 3

To decide if you need to divide through w you need to know more about the format. The w coord is often 1 for positions and 0 for normals. The reason is, that it is more or less a indication if you want to rotate and translate a vector (w=1) or just want to rotate it (w=0) when appling a transformation. When transforming normals you only need to rotate them, so w could be 0.

An other case is, that w gets often !=0 and !=1 after appling projection. In this case you need to normalize the x,y,z values by dividing x,y,z by w. Often this is only encountered in a rendering pipeline and not when dealing with data formats.

I would assume that you can ignore the w coord for now.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!