the next step?

Started by
7 comments, last by kimi 12 years, 3 months ago
hello!!
I know some C++ from high school and now i try to make some games for fun, so i buy the book "Beginning C++ Through Game Programming, Third Edition" just to get an idea habout game programming. i finished it and now i want to go to the next level, the graphics, but i need some help cause i dont know where to start to make a game ,lets say, like arcanoid or pacman with 2d graphics. may i go with directx or no? and if there is any "tutorial-guide" or book to read in order to understend and lern
Advertisement

may i go with directx or no?

Do you know:

• Windows C++ development
  • Basic graphics terminology and techniques
  • Basic COM behaviors and interfaces.

Then NO you shouldn't go with DirectX since per Microsoft's own documentation, which I got the above from, you need to know before you even start messing with DirectX!
If you insist look into SFML although I personally started with Allegro and SDL but I already knew quite a bit of C++, Win32 programming, etc.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Run through this tutorial, that is exactly what it was written for. To bridge the gap between reading books/tutorials and creating complete games. It runs you through creating the worlds most over-engineered Pong game, covering a lot of topics generally not covered in other tutorials and hopefully introducing a bit more modern C++ to you. Coincidentally it uses SFML, a very good 2D graphics library, one of the most popular ( the other two being SDL or Allegro ).

[quote name='Den Sou Leo' timestamp='1327020589' post='4904420']

Do you know:

Then NO you shouldn't go with DirectX since per Microsoft's own documentation, which I got the above from, you need to know before you even start messing with DirectX!
If you insist look into SFML although I personally started with Allegro and SDL but I already knew quite a bit of C++, Win32 programming, etc.
[/quote]

I have a strange feeling, with the move to Metro, that Win32 isn't really an area worth investing a lot of time in. Frankly, to this I say good riddance to bad rubbish.
Run through this tutorial, that is exactly what it was written for.[/quote]

thanks for the help!! it is just what i was looking for :D

[quote name='daviangel' timestamp='1327023970' post='4904432']
[quote name='Den Sou Leo' timestamp='1327020589' post='4904420']

Do you know:

[/quote]

I have a strange feeling, with the move to Metro, that Win32 isn't really an area worth investing a lot of time in. Frankly, to this I say good riddance to bad rubbish.
[/quote]
Actually, the information I posted was directly from a Metro C++ game example from Microsoftbiggrin.png

But as was mentioned there are ways to bypass this using SDL, SFML, etc.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
thx for the help smile.png but i have this question now, it is a litle too noob question, what is a "Metro C++ game" is this: " A Metro style game with C++ is a game developed using native C++ APIs, such as DirectX " i guess (that's what microsoft page say about) or it is something more compicated?
and cause i find it interesting is there any book or something exept the msdn to read about "metro c++ games" ?

thx for the help smile.png but i have this question now, it is a litle too noob question, what is a "Metro C++ game" is this: " A Metro style game with C++ is a game developed using native C++ APIs, such as DirectX " i guess (that's what microsoft page say about) or it is something more compicated?
and cause i find it interesting is there any book or something exept the msdn to read about "metro c++ games" ?

Don't worry, its not a noob question,.. Metro is a confusing branding from Microsoft. Essentially its the new interface that is going to be pasted over top of Windows 8. Its part design, part marketing gimmick and part API. Its a touch capable layer that is going to be portable across Ms devices, win8 and tablets to start, but no doubt win phone and Xbox in the future.

It remains to be seen if it will have legs or if its another active desktop in the making.
C++ and OOPS concepts are most important. Classes, objects, pointers etc ... Also good math, data structures knowledge.

For graphics API like OpenGL and DirectX but you can start with making 2D games using SDL

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement