• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
RichardBurns_206

accessing html content in modern browsers ! what is the easiest way ?

This topic is 2520 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

is there a library that provides access to modern browsers js engine .
for example accessing the js console of active page from a c++ application ?
or what can be done for creating this kind of library ?
spesifically for firefox opera or chrome .
microsoft allready provides such interface for internetexplorer. but in fact i dont use it on linux and not in general on windows. i need support for firefox and opera too .
and ms's library is not well documented . this is another fact that makes us in need of research for better libraries :D

Advertisement
IE's developer tools are pretty much stolen wholesale from firebug.

As far as programmatically, dynamically invoking javascript on an existing page... you're best bet is likely some ajax shenanigans; that will be the most portable at the very least. IE provides an interface for calling existing scripts, but firefox does not short of grabbing gecko and hacking some stuff yourself (to the best of my knowledge).

Though honestly depending on your needs html5 or flash or pure javascript are better options.

[quote name='Telastyn' timestamp='1327069795' post='4904584']IE's developer tools are pretty much stolen wholesale from firebug.

Though I'm not a proponent of Microsoft or IE, can you qualify this statement?
[/quote]

Firebug was released ~6 years ago. Then IE9 was released that had the same development tools with the same features in the same layout/tab order even.

I'm not saying it's bad; the IE9 dev tools are great and I'm thrilled that they're available but firebug came first (I'm pretty sure). The old case of the best ideas spawning many duplicates.

After doing some research, it appears as though that's not super cut and dry as IE8 (released around the same time as firebug) had developer tools available.

IE provides a library for that sort of things additionally. as part of sdk but docs are somehow a lot limited. it might be just part of specific project so probably documented as part of project and no specific documentation around tongue.png who knows.
on windows for now i cant see another solution other then recompiling Firefox from source which has specific requirements like specific old version of IE. direct x and other things that wastes a lot of more time . sad.png
Firefox and opera too must provide similar libraries so they can become really complete browsers .

See, this is what happens when you don't patent your software.

Had Firebug been patented, MS couldn't steal it, or would only be able to license it. Also, Google.

As for original question:
Google Chrome comes with full source, so you can do whatever you want. Firefox and Safari do as well.

See, this is what happens when you don't patent your software.

... wait- you're not actually in favor of software-patents, are you?

The traditional patent system is already enough of a mess, but software patents are ORDERS of magnitude worse.
Just imagine if the first implementation of scroll bars/text editors/browsers/web servers had been patented; even if such patents only lasted for, say, 5 years they would
- delay development (unable to build something on top of patented software)
- make it impossible to have even halfway similar user interfaces
- encourage monopolization (bad for everyone)
The worst thing is: No one, ever, could actually guarantee that your (more complex) software is free of patent infringements- if software patents were freely granted and rigourously enforced, developing/selling software would become like crossing a minefield, and NO ONE would actually benefit.
There already exists copyright law to protect developers; that is enough. [...]
Sorry for the rant, but I feel very strongly about this.

Back on topic: Not sure if I understood you correctly, but if you want your application to display html-content (and mess with that content via Javascript), I'd suggest using something webkit-based; e.g. Qt would make this really easy (C++ library, lots of bindings to other languages though).

--edit: Qt is also available on pretty much every desktop platform (Unix/Windows/Mac) and very well documented; give it a look, it might save you a lot of pain.

--edit: Qt is also available on pretty much every desktop platform (Unix/Windows/Mac) and very well documented; give it a look, it might save you a lot of pain.

do you know anything about if its supported to use qt edition of web kit without qtbuilderkit but instead using qt libraries for mingw ?
or if we simplify the question is it designed to compile using qt libraries+qt webkit without qtbuilder ?

if we simplify the question is it designed to compile using qt libraries+qt webkit without qtbuilder ?

I guess you want to use your own build system (cmake/scons/whatever), not Qt's qmake?
It's possible and not too complicated; see this for example.

I'm not sure though if you will be able to build Qt *itself* with your build system, but that is a bad idea anyway and there is no reason to try this whatsoever. I'd suggest using precompiled binaries (especially to get familiar with Qt) because building it from source takes, like, forever and most likely won't do you any good.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!