EasySky - good sky system for indie developers

Started by
13 comments, last by SergeyLightful 12 years, 2 months ago
I realized my sky system. It can be ported to many modern enough game (or graphics) engines, which are using OpenGL or DirectX.

The speed of this system is incredibly high. On my computer, for example it produces 1100 fps at a 1920x1080 resolution, on the DirectX mode.

Implemented:
Phases of the moon
The motion of the moon and sun
Changing the color of illumination
Time system with a complete change of the day
The gradient of the sky

At this moment there are some ideas about improving this system. But I would like to do this, only if it will make profit.
Advertisement
Personally I don't think dynamic sky like that is good for a game because the most of time a game needs to be fixed for the story.
By the way, you have done a good work here.
I think dynamic sky like that is good for a game like Warcraft3 or similar.
It's funny, when I have launch your video, the scroll of the sky remembered me Quake3.
I dont know, but maybe there are somebody who want to buy this, for own game for example.. If so, EasySky can also be improved and ported to any graphics or game engine.
I don't think this is ready to be for sale as it stands. If you're looking ahead to try and sell your code, things I'd want to see are:

1) Nice atmospheric scattering (and beautiful sunrise/sunset screenshots to help sell your product)
2) 3d clouds, lit/shadowed by sun and moon light
3) Since you have the moon, you might as well have stars (a free database of actual star locations and their magnitudes is available from several places)
4) Keep that 1-2ms render time
5) Optional: a more real world scene so the customer could imagine what the sky might look like in their game

Right now what you have is more of a weekend project, and while it's certainly neat, it's probably not a viable product at this point just based on your screenshots/video.
First of all, thank you for such good answer.
Second, my sky system is already have stars.
Third, I decided to share demo of my EasySky to get a better look.

Link to EasySky demo will be here today.
Have a look at silverlining -- these guys are your competition in selling dynamic sky middleware.

Just make an easy-to-use API for it, make some decent documentation, and choose a fair price biggrin.png
Update! EasySkyDemo v.1.0
Demo crashes in D3D9 debug mode. You might wanna look into that.

In retail mode it looks very nice already and I'd even be willing to spend a little money on something like this if it comes with source code or at least a decent API.

Edit: The debug error message is: "Invalid sample type specified. CheckDeviceMultiSampleType fails."
I'm not quite sure what it is, but your atmospheric scattering seems a little off. The entire skydome is changing colour at dawn/dusk, when the effect should be more pronounced nearer the horizon.

As for features, configurable clouds are a must (at least cumulus and cirrus). Cloud shadows projected on the ground would be awesome, god rays would be even better...

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Looks good but I agree with swiftcoder. Your scattering looks a bit off. Also configurable clouds and god rays will help improve the overall look of things. HDR can help a ton for skys as well. :)

-Toaster

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement