simple proof of purchase?

Started by
3 comments, last by Bombshell93 12 years, 2 months ago
okay this isn't my highest priority but some time next month I'll be releasing my game for public beta.
Naturally I don't want it to turn into some kind of leak, but I don't want to spend all my time on protecting it.
does anyone know of any simplistic ways to check if someone has a legitimate copy?

Any and all help appreciated,
Thanks in advanced,
Bombshell
Advertisement
Have a unique key for each copy. When the game updates, check the key. If it's an invalid key (i.e. not one you created), or if that key's been used to update the game 100x before (i.e. lots of people are using the same copy/key), send an update that destroys the game. Otherwise, update normally.

This isn't foolproof, and your game will always be pirated, but this will impose an inconvenience to those who illegally obtain the game, and it just may deter them (a little). Don't spend too long worrying about it though, because someone will always crack the game. You'll also want to implement it carefully so you don't accidentally target a legitimate user (it's better to let 10 pirates slip by than to accidentally disable the game for 1 legitimate user).

*Disclaimer* I haven't actually tried this method, but it's one I've been wanting to try for ages.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Add online features that require you to have an account which has purchased the game. Theyll pirate it, but theyll probably want the online features too and buy it if its good.

o3o

Don't spend too much time on this. You can't protect what you give to someone else - code, assets, anything.

Add online features that require you to have an account which has purchased the game. Theyll pirate it, but theyll probably want the online features too and buy it if its good.

This is a good idea. IMO the best you can hope for is that the product is good enough most people will decide to buy it.

Best of luck.
I didn't intend on spending much time on it, the online thing will be most convenient as the game is based around 4-player co-op.
And the registry key idea would also be convenient so I could control the amount of users using a key (to get the most out of a game people will want to play with friends, I wouldn't mind letting people share a code with a friend or 2)
I guess I'll need to start looking into some cheap hosts for online key checking.

Thanks for the help :)
at the very least people who crack it will flatter me that their time was worth it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement