Is it facetious to release music under...

Started by
14 comments, last by GeneralQuery 12 years, 1 month ago
...your own name?

What about under a stage name? which is less facetious? Does it matter who you're composing for ( if you're composing for a consumer listener audience, releasing albums, as opposed to composing for video games, etc.. )
Advertisement
Why would you want to use a made-up name exactly?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Why would you want to use a made-up name exactly?

I might can garner a slight following by releasing music to the public, which would be good on a resume for commissioners.. and most people who release music like that do it under a fake name. I guess that's the reason.

I guess it's a personal decision. I don't like the thought of releasing music to the public under my real name but I don't like the thought of releasing music to commissioners under a fake name, haha..

...your own name?

Do you know what facetious actually means? Why would releasing music under your own name be considered "flippant"? Thousands of artists do this all the time.

//EDIT: My apologies, reading over this again it comes off as harsh, which was not my intention -- I assume you've heard of Britney Spears though? Michael Jackson? It's very normal to use a real name.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I don't like the thought of releasing music to the public under my real name

I don't understand that. A lot of people would want any positive recognition to be connected with their real names. Besides, how can you claim on your resume "I'm the guy who wrote that" -- since anybody can claim that?

but I don't like the thought of releasing music ... under a fake name, [/quote]

That I can understand. You want recognition for your own creations.

Do you know what facetious actually means?

Good point. For a moment I thought "fictitious" but that wouldn't fit in as a substitution.

Speaking of word usage, I wonder what "commissioners" means in this context -- I'm guessing "clients"?

I started releasing my music as Vanethian, and then after years I decided to use my name and surname. They both have good points and bad points.

Using a nickname you can create some mystery around the composer, create curiosity and a brand. Using your name is more standard, so less interesting but rewarding on the long run, you put your name you can't go wrong with your compositions, you have to be the best all the time, because there's your name involved, etc etc
Electronic, Hard House, Film Music

88 preview tracks to listen to online + artist forums

And my projects Vanethian, and X-tivity Factor

I guess it's a personal decision. I don't like the thought of releasing music to the public under my real name but I don't like the thought of releasing music to commissioners under a fake name, haha..

There's a nice workaround for that actually. You could simply release music to the public under an alias e.g. "Nyaanyaa", while using both your alias and your real name for commissioned work, e.g. "Christian 'Nyaanyaa' Hellerberg" (not that I'm doing that ;) ). That way you'll be associated with both, while your real name will only appear on the credit pages of games or apps you've created music for.

That aside, I agree it's up to personal preference.

Cheers,
Chris
They both have good points and bad points.
Using a nickname you can create some mystery around the composer, create curiosity and a brand. Using your name is more standard, so less interesting but rewarding on the long run, you put your name you can't go wrong with your compositions, you have to be the best all the time, because there's your name involved, etc etc

So using a fictitious name lets you experiment until you find your style, and if you screw up you can use a different fictitious name and deny any connection with the first one. Okay, I get it now. I really didn't see the benefit before. Kind of like why bank robbers wear masks. Deniability. Disguise.

And if you use your real name you can't screw up. Denial is no longer an option. So don't use your real name if you're unsure of your talent, I guess.

But I don't think the "mystery" aspect adds that much to the brand. I can be curious about an awesome composer whom I'd never heard of before just as much if he's using a real name. A brand can be built just fine with a real name, as long as there's talent there (John Williams). A nickname can be cool for a superstar (The Artist Formerly Known As Prince) but just looks silly on someone with no talent.

yeah, you are probably right, but do you know how many pseudonyms Prince used in his career?

Anyway, you made me think about Richard Bachman, Stephen King pseudonym.

[color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]He said: “When I put on my Bachman hat, I feel everyone starts at ‘Go’ and there’s no guarantee of a happy ending. It’s tremendously liberating; Bachman doesn’t have a conscience, he’s not afraid to say things that I may be afraid to”.[/font]
Electronic, Hard House, Film Music

88 preview tracks to listen to online + artist forums

And my projects Vanethian, and X-tivity Factor
Thanks for the answers everyone, this was a vague question but ya'll cleared it up for me. It is a personal decision.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement