Tabs being lost, [code] tags, and text cursor jumping around

Started by
9 comments, last by Gaiiden 12 years, 2 months ago
It's really annoying when trying to help users by posting code snippets.

Whatever I do, no matter what, it loses the tabs and extra spaces.
I then have to manually go back and re-tab it.
Ofcourse, I can't actually press 'Tab' on my keyboard, that'd be too easy!
Nope, I have to go through and copy+paste a tab from Notepad before every line.
Except, everytime I paste something, the entire forum entry box scrolls to the bottom.
So I have to: place cursor, paste tab, scroll back up. Place cursor, paste tab, scroll back up.
Ofcourse, once I get finished, and submit the post... I remember that even pasted tabs are stripped out.
Now I have to go through and do the entire thing again, but copying four spaces instead of a space.

Could it possibly be more harder to help someone? Well, yes ofcourse it could! dry.png
Whenever you are using formatting (italics, bold, etc...), when you stop formatting, and return to normal text, the next time you hit backspace or enter, it leaps the cursor back to either before, or after, the stylized text... and then applies the enter or backspace.

Try to type in this: (using Ctrl+i to italicize, instead of the forum buttons)
NormalItalicized
Normal

If it's so bad that I get aggravated with the forum software itself when trying to help someone, it makes me want to help out in the forums less. It's not just a minor annoyance either. When typing, you do it naturally. Text flows from your hands to the keyboard to the screen. Whenever the forum software mucks up where the text cursor is, it messes up the flow of typing and jarrs you... multiple times... a paragraph. sad.png

Please fix!
Advertisement
The upper left button in the editor's toolbar toggles the WYSWYG mode. Do you still have problems posting code in the non-rich text mode?
Tested it, I can post fine toggling it off, then back on. Thanks, I'll use that.
I can apparently also use the pop-up code-pasting window, though I'm sure I tried it earlier today and it messed it up, but I tried it just now and it worked fine. Odd, maybe I imagined it.

The text cursor jumping around is still ridiculously annoying.

It's really annoying when trying to help users by posting code snippets.

Whatever I do, no matter what, it loses the tabs and extra spaces.
I then have to manually go back and re-tab it.

We're trying to figure this one out.. it's been an annoyance for posting articles as well. The RTE mode seems pretty useless for programmers.. I should almost default to having it turned off.
Okay, so far I have tabs able to be inserted without losing editor focus.. but pasting documents with tabs won't work since it's the browser that actually strips out the tabs and not the editor. The only way it doesn't strip tags is if you post as plain text (which involves toggling the upper-left editing mode button) or by selecting the code special bbcode button.
Yea, now that I know there's a plaintext mode, I'll probably use that like with the old GD.net site. It'll probably get rid of the text cursor jumping around too.

Good to know it's getting worked on (sometimes it's hard to tell whether things aren't getting done due to different priorities or complications in resolving it, or whether it was just dismissed as a minor issue. I'll be patient. smile.png ).

The text cursor jumping around is still ridiculously annoying.

This happens to me all over the 'net, not just here. It's annoying as hell

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

I've never encountered it before, at least that I can recall. Is it the forum software, your browser (I use Chrome), this particular rich-text widget, or something fundamentally flawed with CSS/Javascript/whatever itself?

Do we have any hope for it getting fixed, or is it beyond GD.net's control?

Do we have any hope for it getting fixed, or is it beyond GD.net's control?

I'm not sure there is much we can do about it to be honest.
That's fine, at least I know where it stands. If I use text-only mode, I'll be fine. Thank you guys for responding - I appreciate it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement