• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
SteveDeFacto

Naming question: Geometry, Mesh or Model?

This topic is 2508 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a class which stores animation, mesh, skinning, and bone information. I'm just having a hard time making up my mind about which name to use for the class. Geometry basically means mathematical representation of a shape in my mind which is pretty accurate but the name is a bit longer than I like and does not convey the full scope of information contained within the class. Mesh is short and to the point but I don't think it properly represents what the class is since there is more information besides vertex and index data. Lastly, model is very abstract but maybe too abstract and may confuse new developers. Which one should I use and why?

Advertisement
Mesh and Model would be usable but for different meanings.

A Mesh is a collection of vertex information and indices which represents the object.
A Model is the union of (at least) Mesh and Material information.

An entity would then have-a model and it would provide it with any per-instance data such as position.

In short; your class is doing to much. Split it up, it should be focused on maintaining one responsibility, another class (such as 'model') can then act as a union of these responsibilities and represent then sanely in the system.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!