• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Shaunohbi

Exp system ideas help

This topic is 2512 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey,
I've come up for a few ideas for an exp system, but I would love to hear other peoples.
This is all theoretical by the way.

The game is an MMORPG with a first person view (FPS in a way).

**apart from the obvious mob grinding, quests or dungeons.

Advertisement
Why do you want a new experience system for? Is the standard one not meeting some specific requirements of your game? I mean, the traditional experience/level up system is extremely well known by the players and is very flexible and suitable for almost all genres/themes you can think of. These are incredible advantages not to be discarded without a very good reason...

I don't want to discard these old exp systems at all. If anything I want to include all of them (except mob grinding)
I just had a thought that maybe there would be a more fun, different way of gaining exp that players could switch to when they get bored of the same old stuff.

I dont think experience should be a single value. It should be a hierarchy that breaks down into very exact skills.

For example, you might have a mob killing skill, and under that [specific mob name] killing skill and under that lets say defending against that mob and hurting it and so on (I guess it might make sense to have a single experience thingy under many nodes in some cases?)

That way you can check the general mob killing experience, experience killing a specific mob or experience in doing some specific task in killing a mob and use that data for something.

Well the Exp system is supposed to mirror the way a character gains knowledge in certain aspects of the game (mostly combat) over the time they play. The two routes are generally either a single Exp bar which will fill whenever you do anything (like WoW) or multiple bars, each related to a specific skill/skills, that fill up as you use those skills (like Skyrim).

I personally like the idea of having a single overall level for a character, essentially a quick way to see how powerful a character is overall, and then separate levels which equate directly to certain activities, i.e. a level for combat (which can only be levelled through combat) and one for trading (which can only be levelled through trading). In the end you could then have a level 60 character which is also level 60 in combat but only level 10 in trading. The idea of giving someone Exp for doing almost anything in a game is a strong one and really should be built upon more.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!