Exp system ideas help

Started by
4 comments, last by Shaunohbi 12 years, 2 months ago
Hey,
I've come up for a few ideas for an exp system, but I would love to hear other peoples.
This is all theoretical by the way.

The game is an MMORPG with a first person view (FPS in a way).

**apart from the obvious mob grinding, quests or dungeons.
Advertisement
Why do you want a new experience system for? Is the standard one not meeting some specific requirements of your game? I mean, the traditional experience/level up system is extremely well known by the players and is very flexible and suitable for almost all genres/themes you can think of. These are incredible advantages not to be discarded without a very good reason...

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

I don't want to discard these old exp systems at all. If anything I want to include all of them (except mob grinding)
I just had a thought that maybe there would be a more fun, different way of gaining exp that players could switch to when they get bored of the same old stuff.
I dont think experience should be a single value. It should be a hierarchy that breaks down into very exact skills.

For example, you might have a mob killing skill, and under that [specific mob name] killing skill and under that lets say defending against that mob and hurting it and so on (I guess it might make sense to have a single experience thingy under many nodes in some cases?)

That way you can check the general mob killing experience, experience killing a specific mob or experience in doing some specific task in killing a mob and use that data for something.

o3o

Well the Exp system is supposed to mirror the way a character gains knowledge in certain aspects of the game (mostly combat) over the time they play. The two routes are generally either a single Exp bar which will fill whenever you do anything (like WoW) or multiple bars, each related to a specific skill/skills, that fill up as you use those skills (like Skyrim).

I personally like the idea of having a single overall level for a character, essentially a quick way to see how powerful a character is overall, and then separate levels which equate directly to certain activities, i.e. a level for combat (which can only be levelled through combat) and one for trading (which can only be levelled through trading). In the end you could then have a level 60 character which is also level 60 in combat but only level 10 in trading. The idea of giving someone Exp for doing almost anything in a game is a strong one and really should be built upon more.
Thats true, I never really thought of it in that perspective.
Thanks (:

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement