adding post process slows down my frametime?

Started by
3 comments, last by champloo 12 years, 2 months ago
I'm new to graphics and still wondering how do people set up their post processing passes.
so I draw all my object onto a render target texture. and then apply FXAA on that texture and output to the back buffer.
This takes 7-8ms every frame.

Then I added another post process shader which do nothing but pass through color. And the frametime goes up to 14-15ms.
Is it normal or did I do something wrong?

the pipeline is something like this:

draw objects onto a screen size texture -> render the same texture onto another screen size texture -> apply fxaa to this texture and output to backbuffer

thanks,
Advertisement
Yup, that's normal. PP is fillrate sensitive and even a "do nothing" pass still needs to write out everything in the framebuffer all over again.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

Yup, that's normal. PP is fillrate sensitive and even a "do nothing" pass still needs to write out everything in the framebuffer all over again.

got it, guess i need to squeeze more stuff in one pass then

That depends on the hardware, your resolution, and what you're doing. Adding an addition 7-8ms just for one post-processing effect does sound wayyyy too high, unless the hardware is extremely weak (Intel integrated graphics) and/or you're doing something really complex. What kind of hardware are you running on?

[quote name='champloo' timestamp='1327877993' post='4907460']

That depends on the hardware, your resolution, and what you're doing. Adding an addition 7-8ms just for one post-processing effect does sound wayyyy too high, unless the hardware is extremely weak (Intel integrated graphics) and/or you're doing something really complex. What kind of hardware are you running on?
[/quote]
it's a nvidia gt 525M. And the resolution is 1280x720.
and removing both post-processing effects causes my frametime drop to 1-2ms.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement