• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
BlackWind

math behind transformed points and vectors into local/world space

This topic is 2497 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,

I understand the differrence between points and vectors, and each one in local and world space.
I also thought i had all the math. But i have a some situations where i dont really understand the results.

Lets say we have an object in (5,0,0) (world position). Lets name it "Player"

And we have another one in (10,5,2) (world position). Lets name it "Enemy".

And we want to transform Enemy into its respective points and vectors of world and local/object space of Player.

No rotation and no scale.

So its easy, and we get this results:
Local Point ( 5, 5, 2)
Global Point (15, 5 , 2)

Local Vector (10, 5, 2)
global ( 10, 5, 2 ).

I think so far no problems. I understand the logic.

Now we rotate our player 90 degrees around Y-axis. And want to get the same.
So, the rotation of 90 degrees gives us (0,0,-5). (player * rotationAroundYmatrix) and (2,5,-10) (enemy * rotAroundYMatrix)

So now we get something like this:
Local Point ( -2,5,5)
Global Point ( 7,5,-10)

Local Vector (-2, 5, 10 )
Global Vector (2,5, -10)

My question is. Why?

1.- How do we decide the signs? For example, I now that (10,5,2) becomes (2,5,-10) when rotate by 90 degrees.
So we use that numbers to get the results.
For example, we can use ( 2,5,-10) + (5,0,0) to get the global point (7,5,-10).
I can get the combinations needed to get the results. What i dont understand is.. Why?
For example, i think that for getting the Local Point we use(-2,5,10) - (0,0,-5) to get (-2,5,5). But i really dont understand why.

Whats the math for getting those results an why?
A little help would be appreciated.

thank you!!

Advertisement

I don't understand what your problem is, probably because you are not using the correct language. This is normal: Getting the language right is more than half of the problem in Linear Algebra.

You have a player and an enemy. There is a reference we call "world" under which their positions have certain coordinates. I was with you so far.

And we want to transform Enemy into its respective points and vectors of world and local/object space of Player.

Now you totally lost me. And your "Global

Point (15, 5 , 2)" confused me even further: I can't see anything in this situation that would have those coordinates. [To any admins out there: I can't seem to get this paragraph to not break. WTF?]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]So perhaps you can back up a bit and try to describe better what you are trying to do.[/font]

Hi Alvaro,

What i meant with local and global is:

Local: Transform a point or vector (in this case, enemy) from world space to others object local space (in this case, player).
Meaning, the enemy point (or vector) relative to the players local space.

In plain words, "which is the enemy point relative to the player local space"?
So for the first example, when the player is at (5,0,0) and enemy is at (10,5,2), the enemy point relative to the players local point is (5,5,2).

Global: Transform a point or vector (in this case, enemy) from other object space (player), to world space.
In plain words it could be:
"Where is the point 'enemy' of player, in world space" ? So the point enemy (10,5,2) transformed to players space, would be equivalent to (15,5,2) in world space (since player is already in (5,0,0) )

The same for directions.

Hope i make my question clear.

EDIT: I edited a bit my explation to hopefully make it clearer.

In order to describe coordinates, it is not enough to have a point: You need a reference. A reference is formed by a point (called origin) and a basis of the vector space underlying the affine space. You can express the transformation between coordinates given in a reference to coordinates in another reference by using a matrix that looks like that of an affine transformation (a 4x4 matrix with a last row that is (0 0 0 1)).

Your description of "global" doesn't make sense to me. In your description the coordinates (15,5,2) seem to be the sum of (10,5,2) and (5,0,0). The sum of the coordinates of two points is an operation that depends on the choice of origin, so it can't possibly mean anything geometrically.

Hi Alvaro,

In order to describe coordinates, it is not enough to have a point: You need a reference. A reference is formed by a point (called origin) and a basis of the vector space underlying the affine space. You can express the transformation between coordinates given in a reference to coordinates in another reference by using a matrix that looks like that of an affine transformation (a 4x4 matrix with a last row that is (0 0 0 1)).

Your description of "global" doesn't make sense to me. In your description the coordinates (15,5,2) seem to be the sum of (10,5,2) and (5,0,0). The sum of the coordinates of two points is an operation that depends on the choice of origin, so it can't possibly mean anything geometrically.

Hi, i didnt mention but every object i have is formed by their 4x4 transformation matrix. Defined by each one of ther "direction" axis (X,Y,Z).
So for example, an object in the origin, with no transformation, could be defined by:
x (1,0,0,0)
y (0,1,0,0)
z(0,0,1,0)
w(0,0,0,1)

The initial position i mention (5,0,0) is the world space position representation by a "Vector3" of the player.
So if i rotate it 90 degrees around Y, is the "classic" multiplications of the vector times the rotationAroundYmatrix:

(1, 0, 0, 0)
(0, cos, -sin ,0 )
(0, sin, cos, 0 )
(0,0,0,1)

The reference for transformations between world and object space is there (which would be the player).
I also have the world origin which is (0,0,0).

Maybe a practical example would be better.

First for the "local point".
Imagine a different example, where the player is at (0,0,5).
And we want to see if the player is in front of the camera (assuming the Z positive is forward/front)
Now we have our object called "camera".
In code it would look something like this

Point3 cameraRelativePoint = camera.TransformWorldToLocalPoint( player.position ); // convert the players point to the camera local space
if ( cameraRelativePoint.z > 0 )
print ("the player is in front");

Now, for the "global point"

Imagine we want to create an object to the right of the player.
Point3 position = player.TransformLocalToWorldPoint ( 1,0,0); // transforms the point (1,0,0) of the player to world space. So if player is at //(5,0,0), its (1,0,0) would be (6,0,0).
CreateNewObject ( newObject, position); // create new object at "position" --which would be to the right of the player

Hope this make sense to you.

Personally visual representation helped me to understand this. This is the only image I found on Google so please ignore text. When you turn something around Z axis, coordinate change only in XY plane, if you refer to image, you'll see 90 degree turn will convert X axis into Y axis. If you think what happens to old Y axis, following same rotation direction it becomes negative X axis, therefore -X becomes -Y, and -Y becomes +X. Any other angle is just something inbetween (part of one axis + part of other axis).

figures.006.jpg

Hi Ripiz,

I do understand that.

my first question, is why (in the first example i posted, when we rotate 90 degrees around Y),
if we transform the enemy point of players object space, to world space, we use the (2,5,-10) point to make the sum (the rotated 90deg around "Y" of (10,5,2)) . And not the original (10,5,2) ? (since for the other part of the sum we use the original (5,0,0) of the player).
In other words, we use:
(5,0,0) + (2,5,-10) .
My first question would be:
Why not (0,0,-5) + (2,5,-10)

For the local it makes a little more sense to me, since we use both rotated points (0,0,-5) of player, and (-2,5,10) of enemy.
But why the negative sign in (-2,5,10). Why not (2,5,-10) ??
In other words. We have to do this:
(-2,5,-10 ) - (0,0,-5).

My second question would be:
Why not (2,5,-10) - (0,0,-5)

Why for localToWorld we use the orignal player position and the rotated enemy position? (instead of using both originals).
And for the worldToLocal we use the negated enemyRotated position instead of the original rotated Enemy position.

Whats the logic behind that?

Hi,

Afters many hours of analyzing and proving, i finally i got the formula and logic behind.
I consulted many books but the only one i found it talks explicity about this is "3d math primer" , but even they do not explain the whole process.

First, for transforming from object space relative to anothers world space.

The direction is simple, we just multiply the current direction times the rotationMatrix. Since direction is not affected by position or scale, we only need that multiplication.
Direction = ObjectVector*RotMatrix

Points do get affected by scaling. So we need to keep in mind that. In my case, i dont scale never, so i didnt "solve" the problem for scaled points.
So after doing the vector*RotMatrix, we add the translation needed to be relative to the reference objects world space.
We dont need to rotate the orignal referencePoint, since if we rotate it and then add, we would be moving in some sort of object space. But we want world space.
So the "formula" (without scaling) would be like this:

NewWorldPoint = ReferencePoint + (ObjectPoint * RotMatrix)

My guess is that if we use scaling, the formula would be something like this:
NewWorldPoint = ReferencePoint + ((ObjectPoint * RotMatrix)*ScalingMatrix)

But i'm not really sure, since i didnt make a test.

Now, for the inverse operation, transforming from world space to be relative to anothers objects object space, its only the opposite procedure.
For example, if we moved to the right and up for transforming to world space, now we have to move to the left and down for transforming to object space.

So for direction, its almost the same process, except that we use the transpose of the rotationMatrix.

localDirection = objectDir * (RotMatrix^T) (where ^T denotes the transpose of the matrix tongue.png )

Finally, for the point (without scaling)
NewLocalPoint = (ReferencePoint*(RotMatrix^T) - (ObjectPoint * (RotMatrix^T))

Here we use both rotated because we want object space. So we need the points in object space. The transpose is needed because it would be the "opposite" operation (or equivalent to rotate counterclockwise by the same amount).
We do a substraction instead of addition, because its the opposite.

I tested for all the possibilities (withouth scaling) and it seems to be working perfect. Also now it makes a lot of sense to me all these operations. Problem solved :)

Reading a bit more on the subject,

i found that this operations is called "change of base".

However, in most books it only comes the mathematical expression, which is enough if you are only dealing with vectors (directions). But when dealing with points it needs a little extra works (since we need to keep in mind scaling and new position)

Also i must add that the real formula uses the Inverse of the matrix (V* M^-1 )
In my case, the transpose will always work, because rotational matrices are orthogonal. And the inverse of the orthogonal matrix is its transpose. This operation seems to be called Orthogonal coordinate system change!

First, for transforming from object space relative to anothers world space.

The direction is simple, we just multiply the current direction times the rotationMatrix. Since direction is not affected by position or scale, we only need that multiplication.
Direction = ObjectVector*RotMatrix

How do you calculate RotMatrix? Do you just use the rotation values of the reference object (the object around which you want to manipulate the world)? I can multiply my reference object's matrix by its own rotation matrix (created from negative versions of its rotation values), which sets its orientation to 0,0,0. This works great for the reference object but if I try to multiply other objects' matrices using this matrix, the resulting rotation does not take into account the distance the object moves so it's not correct. Could you elaborate on the rotation step?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!