• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Crusable77

What next

This topic is 2511 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey,

i have just finished learning the basics of c++ from ``beginning C++ through game programming by micheal dawson```and i am pritty confident in the basics the book tought me... i just want to know what do i do next... my main goal is to be an AI programmer howver i am a LOOOOOONG ways away from that. I have thought of a couple of things i should do: Learn an api, and if so witch do i use. i have heard that sdl and opengl are great apis. and second i really want to learn more c++ and get better at coding with that.

Im not really sure what i should do. i have read on articles and my conclusion is that both are acceptible paths. however i just want some more experianced people to help me with my desicion.

thanks for any feedback and all help.

smile.png

and sorry for my spelling mistakes

Advertisement
Starting with opengl isn't necessary for learning AI programming, but seems to be a good idea. Thought the API isn't that interesting, it helps a lot to learn more about 3d spaces and transformations which could help you with AI problems later on. Just stop at the right time, a basic visualisation (rendering of simple shapes etc) is enough, no need to be a shader expert.

Then I would learn something about graphs and trees. These are always useful in AI programming (waypoint, pathfinding, behaviour trees, finit state machines etc.).

OpenGL is a bit of a jump from having read a single book. I would consider a small step like making a simple 2D game using SFML or SDL next.

i have just finished learning the basics of c++ from ``beginning C++ through game programming by micheal dawson```and i am pritty confident in the basics the book tought me...

How'd you do that?

Or to be more blunt, how many little programs did you write to learn those things. If it's less than say... 10, you should write more code.

Otheriwse The C++ Standard Library is the second book to learn from when learning C++.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!