Decisions - DAW/Controller

Started by
0 comments, last by MoritzPGKatz 12 years, 2 months ago
Hello all!

Ive decided that i will finally take the time, effort, training and enjoyment in composing for games.

I have read endless topics, posts and have watched various videos in regards to it all and already have started learning the theory side of things.

I have hit a snag - basically i have chosen FL Studios as my DAW of choice as i have tried a few (not all, just the ones in my budget happy.png) and feel the most comfortable in that DAW. My first question is that - am i making a mistake by choosing FL Studios for game composing? (Havnt purchased yet) - because i have looked through various job sites for companies etc and they all state Pro Tools, Logic etc etc. Is FL Studios still a DAW for game composing or best if i move away now and use another one? Reason why i like FL Studios is all the plugins it has, alot of different things you can play around with - what other DAW would be the closest in terms of i guess "third" party plugins and amount of addons you can play around with?

I have chosen a few different midi controllers and wanted to look at the MPK49 - but its not fully compatible with FL Studios (due to the presets it dosnt have) and you have to link alot of the effects and other things to it - is there another keyboard that others recommend? How is the QX49, or even the Oxygen 49? Are they compatible with most (especially FL Studios)?

I thank you for your time!
Advertisement
Hello,

I have hit a snag - basically i have chosen FL Studios as my DAW of choice as i have tried a few (not all, just the ones in my budget happy.png) and feel the most comfortable in that DAW. My first question is that - am i making a mistake by choosing FL Studios for game composing? (Havnt purchased yet) - because i have looked through various job sites for companies etc and they all state Pro Tools, Logic etc etc. Is FL Studios still a DAW for game composing or best if i move away now and use another one? Reason why i like FL Studios is all the plugins it has, alot of different things you can play around with - what other DAW would be the closest in terms of i guess "third" party plugins and amount of addons you can play around with?

This seems to come up a lot.
You're talking about jobs, what are your ambitions? Most teams aren't concerned with what tools you use. Major well-funded companies might be if you're working in a big audio team, but that shouldn't be your concern if you're just starting out.

I have chosen a few different midi controllers and wanted to look at the MPK49 - but its not fully compatible with FL Studios (due to the presets it dosnt have) and you have to link alot of the effects and other things to it - is there another keyboard that others recommend? How is the QX49, or even the Oxygen 49? Are they compatible with most (especially FL Studios)?[/quote]
I've never really used FL Studio, but every MIDI controller sends the same data, so they're all compatible with any DAW once you've set them up the way you want them to work. Some have extra features like Novation's Automap, but basically any controller that feels okay will do.
I use an old E-MU Xboard 49 mostly, plus an AKAI APC40 for controlling my DAW (Ableton Live) - if my Xboard broke, I'd probably take a look at the AKAI products for a keyboard too. They're pretty sturdy for the price and I guess the pads are a nice addition.

Cheers,
Moritz

Check out my Music/Sound Design Reel on moritzpgkatz.de

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement