• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
SeeForever

[SDL] How to handle keyboard text input?

This topic is 2511 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone! :)

I have a GUI in a game I'm developing. I have two text input boxes. I can input text into it using SDL_KEYDOWN events but how would I go about translating the modifier keys like shift and caps lock to turn letters into capitals and numbers into symbols? I'm looking for something locale-independent. I can just check for the 'shift' key modifier and then apply it manually to whichever key was pressed but like, I would do '!' for '1', but not everyone is using an U.S. keyboard layout.

Does SDL have something built-in for this? If not, is there a cross-platform library for it? Or am I stuck calling OS-specific functions?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
Hey I've followed the LazyFoo tutorials before! How come I missed this one? Thanks a lot Jakez, that's exactly what I was looking for! biggrin.png

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!