problem solving

Started by
10 comments, last by phil67rpg 12 years, 2 months ago
how does one go about any given problem.
Advertisement
sorry but my question is how does one tackle any given problem
such a broad question....its almost hard to answer. Can you elaborate ?

I suppose I would start with trying to find the root of the problem.
well lets say I am programming a game such as tic tac toe , how would I begin and how would I progress until I finish.are there any good web sites for general game design and problem solving.
1. get your idea on paper... this case tic tac toe
2. separate the elements of the game (marks (X,O), game rules, board, AI, user input, etc)
3. take a big cup of coffee, or red bull.. always helps.
4. sort your elements from what has the broadest effect on the application, and the ones that have the least effects on the application. (Board, marks, user input, game rules, AI)
5. Program in the order from the the most broad to the least
6. Each time you apply a element, test it until you feel confident that is working the way it should
7. Play your game for a while.
8. Set yourself a new project, and start at number 1 again.

just my 2 cents.
sounds good thanks for the input.
Phil, I love you brother, and I hope you keep up this fight to learn programming. But, I have to ask, have you actually gone through a C++ tutorial? Did you understand all of it? If not, you really need to. Let me suggest this one:
http://cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

I know you're in a hurry to write a cool game, and to play it. But, nothing truly worth the effort comes easy. When I was young (13/14), I learned to program in BASIC. I wrote crappy code. There was no internet, only BASIC reference manuals. But, i started by writing text adventure games, that had thins interface:

You are in a dark room. You see an exit north and South.
What would you like to do:
1) Go North
2) Go South

And, I had a blast writing those programs. Slowly, I advanced, learned about variables, how they worked, I wrote increasingly more complex programs. But, this was over a span of a few years. You need to show patience, start with a step, then another step. You're trying to run a marathon before you can sprint.

You can have fun with simple programs while you learn too. As you go through the tutorials, try to use what you learn and make a simple game from it. Guess the number, roulette wheel gambling, hangman, etc.

GL.

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

thanks beer I really appreciate your input.I was also thinking about brushing up on my c++.yes I need to walk before I can run.Is there any specific part of c++ I should learn to do games?
It's not really the parts of C++ that you need to grasp, it's more of understanding the philosophy of programming. Going though the C++ tutorials will help you learn to program, but it will also teach you the C++ syntax, which you can then apply to other API's (SDL, or SFML).

Once you understand the basics of programming structures, you'll be able to apply all of it to making games.

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

ok sounds good thanks beer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement