• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ms75214

daz studio

This topic is 2497 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
I've never used it, but I got the free (full) version two days ago.

Go to www.Daz3d.com, register an account with whatever email you use for registrations.

Go to Bryce 7, add the Pro version to your cart.
Go to Daz Studio 4 Pro, add it to your cart.
Go to Hexagon 2.5, add it to your cart.

...and then checkout. It costs $0, but you have to sign up for their newsletter. So far, I only received one email from them (other than the three order confirmation emails), but even if they start spamming me, it's not my primary email address, so who cares.

After checking out, they'll give you Serial Keys for each product, and you can then go on the website to the downloads page and access your downloads. This is the only step that confused me, since there were seriously around 20 different downloads (the primary products, and add-ons, and etc... but I didn't know which were which).

Filter by your OS (either Mac or Windows), and download the ones you are interested in. Save your installers and Serial Keys somewhere where you can access them in the future.

I got them all myself as well. For the record, it looks like you have X amount of time to download things, but this is misleading. You can actually "reset" your downloads and get the files again later, so dont feel pressured to download in a certain period of time.

They certainly do send a few emails, 3 or so thus far, so expect a bit of a sales pitch after ( they are after all trying to sell model packs ), but all told I think its worth it. Initially DAZ seemed like a complete toy, thenI managed to render out a sprite sheet using their canned animation ability in about 15 minutes...then I realized, for someone on a one man team, this could be a useful application, especially as rigging/animating is my weak point.

Now its really a matter of figuring out how hard it is to bring props into DAZ, it may actually be slotted into my workflow, especially consider COLLADA support.

Their documentation is balls though.

I got them all myself as well. For the record, it looks like you have X amount of time to download things, but this is misleading. You can actually "reset" your downloads and get the files again later, so dont feel pressured to download in a certain period of time.

They certainly do send a few emails, 3 or so thus far, so expect a bit of a sales pitch after ( they are after all trying to sell model packs ), but all told I think its worth it. Initially DAZ seemed like a complete toy, thenI managed to render out a sprite sheet using their canned animation ability in about 15 minutes...then I realized, for someone on a one man team, this could be a useful application, especially as rigging/animating is my weak point.

Now its really a matter of figuring out how hard it is to bring props into DAZ, it may actually be slotted into my workflow, especially consider COLLADA support.

documentation is good or bad?

[quote name='Serapth' timestamp='1328401731' post='4909693']

[/quote]

Bad, and or missing.

Having played around a bit with Hexagon, I can't find a single reason to recommend this application over the freely available Wings3D. It has potential, but is just so poorly done, the UI is sloppy and has problems refreshing. I think everything you would ever want to do is there... somewhere, just instead of being called say "split edge", its called tesselate->guide manually, and you find it in a pop down button, which has text which is obscured by the pop down images!

Just infuriatingly sloppy. A layer of polish and this program would be much nicer.

[quote name='ms75214' timestamp='1328424830' post='4909751']

Bad, and or missing.

Having played around a bit with Hexagon, I can't find a single reason to recommend this application over the freely available Wings3D. It has potential, but is just so poorly done, the UI is sloppy and has problems refreshing. I think everything you would ever want to do is there... somewhere, just instead of being called say "split edge", its called tesselate->guide manually, and you find it in a pop down button, which has text which is obscured by the pop down images!

Just infuriatingly sloppy. A layer of polish and this program would be much nicer.
[/quote]

all their stuff seems really sloppy, right?

problem is they are the only game in town except for poser, which is sloppy too.

After playing around with Hexagon 2.5 for a few days, I have put up this mini-review. I call it a mini review as frankly it pretty much focuses on "why I am not going to ever use Hexagon again". So, if you are wondering about downloading it, check it out.

Oh, and if you are wondering about the volume of spam you will get, I would have to say it's starting to get excessive. I have received about half a dozen unsolicited emails from Daz since signing up. You can however opt-out, which if this volume of mails keeps up, I am going to do.

After playing around with Hexagon 2.5 for a few days, I have put up this mini-review. I call it a mini review as frankly it pretty much focuses on "why I am not going to ever use Hexagon again". So, if you are wondering about downloading it, check it out.

Oh, and if you are wondering about the volume of spam you will get, I would have to say it's starting to get excessive. I have received about half a dozen unsolicited emails from Daz since signing up. You can however opt-out, which if this volume of mails keeps up, I am going to do.

Agreed. Doubtful I will use Hexagon again either.

problem is they are the only game in town except for poser, which is sloppy too.

Wings3d is a free alternative -- Serapth mentioned it above. There's also Blender, but I believe it has a somewhat different feature set.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!