simple c++ project

Started by
5 comments, last by phil67rpg 12 years, 2 months ago
well I starting over from scratch.I have been studying c++ book and tutorial.where do I start as a very simple project.
Advertisement
I'd recommend this exercices. They go from beginner to "advanced" beginner, so it's good practice. http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/articles/12974/
Well, my first attempts to make a game was a very simple game in the good old console. Actually it was a snake game.. You can use this

void clear_screen (){
DWORD n;
DWORD size;
COORD coord = {0};
CONSOLE_SCREEN_BUFFER_INFO csbi;

/* Get a handle to the console */
HANDLE h = GetStdHandle ( STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE );

GetConsoleScreenBufferInfo ( h, &csbi );

SetConsoleCursorPosition ( h, coord );
}

to clear you're screen faster (you'll need to #include "Windows.h" ).
This is in case you want to write something very simple, very ugly and very unuseful only for fun and practice with the language.

The next thing I can suggest you is allegro. Alegro is very simple library for 2D game dev. You can learn it from the net. And you'll something more complex (but still simple smile.png ), good looking (i mean with graphics better than in the first suggestion) and cool. (Actually I have started writing Chicken Invaders using Allegro because it looks too bad in the c++ console biggrin.png) .

And my third suggestion is to start with the hardcore - openGL. With openGL you can write very powerful games and will be very usefull if you learn it. But if you just start with c++ it will be very hard for you. My suggestion is to write some bullshits while you get the conception of c++ and gamedev and then openGL will be easier for you.

I hope I was helpful!
MarrShal
thanks for the input,can you tell me specifically which game I should start with
start from the basics... board games that you can represent with characters, tic tac toe, comes to mind. there are many many others like checkers, which would be a nice upgrade from tic tac toe.
cool sounds good , I will go back to tic tac toe.

I'd recommend this exercices. They go from beginner to "advanced" beginner, so it's good practice. http://www.cplusplus...articles/12974/
thanks for the help I am doing the exercises as stated above.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement