• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Mantas

2d world and seeking for guidance

This topic is 2500 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello,
I am newbie in a game developement, but I have some ideas and questions in mind, maybe you can help me with some guidance. I am third year programming student, so I have a decent general programming knowledge. I attended some gamejams and have 2d programming experience with Lua and Love2D.

1) I want to pick up moai engine. I want to develop in linux environment, for mobile devices and I don't have macbook. Is this viable choice?
2) Before, I was interested in platformer type of games. Now I would like to try some 2d fighting games, where anime girls fight and spill their blood just for that purpose :D However, it's hard to think of a good algorhitm for this type of game in my head. How should I calculate damage, comboes, physics and stuff? Maybe there are some guides for that? I want to mix magic + shooting + combo moves/swords etc. How do you organize your ideas and get code samples?
3) Motivation. How do you keep up your motivation for this kind of work? Currently, I am quite busy with my life, but somehow I always find time for gaming, watching tv shows, anime and so on. If I would invest this time in game developement, that would benefit my life a lot. But somehow, I loose my motivation, even though I want to do this. How about you?

Thats it for my first post in this community, hope we get along ^^

Advertisement
1) I have never used moai, so I can't give any advice there, but when you say "develop in linux environment" and make specific mention of mobile devices, are you proposing that you wish to ONLY work with mobile versions of linux or are desktop linux distros also in the mix? Either way you have no restriction to a macbook. In fact, the only two OSs that require a mac are, Mac OS and iOS. With that said, neither of those are actually linux. Mac OS is based on Unix (not the same as linux) and iOS is... um... honestly I forget what it is based off of, but I am pretty sure it isn't linux. I wanna say it was built from the ground up, but don't quote me on that.

Android OS does, in fact, run on a modified linux kernel, so in essence, you could say it is a mobile linux distro.

2) There is no single algorithm for any game, let alone a fighting game. What exactly are you confused about?

3) The answer to this question is highly subjective and what works for one person probably won't work for you. All I can say is find something that works for you. In my case, I like to set regular (and reasonable) goals for myself, and i reward myself on successfully reaching a goal.

Sorry for my English, I was not very clear :D
1) I want to develop IN linux environment, I mean, I want to write code while being in linux with my beloved geany IDE. But I want to TARGET mobile platforms, e.g. Android, iOS. For iOS I would definetely need a macbook, but I don't have it, that's why I am looking for multiplatform engine.
2) I can do collision between quads, but what are good ways to determine collision with moving characters? How should I know what part of body was hit (e.g. hit to the head hurts more that legs). How should I make a combo system, do attacks interrups comboes? Maybe there are good examples on the systems? :D

Oh, and thank you for the answers!

I want to pick up moai engine. I want to develop in linux environment, for mobile devices and I don't have macbook. Is this viable choice?

Moai supposedly runs on Linux, but I don't see a pre-built host for it in the SDK distro, so you might have to build it yourself.

You don't necessarily need a Macbook to develop for iOS. You don't even need an Apple's developer license if you jailbreak. I got OSX up in VirtualBox, built the Moai host in Xcode, copied it onto my iPad, and I've never touched it since.

If you jailbreak your device, you can run an SSH server on it. You can then map the iPad/iPhone's drive into your local file system, use any tools you want to manipulate/edit files directly on the device, and use SSH to start your app. Since Moai is coded in a dynamic language (Lua), you can build an entire game using only a text editor, never touching Xcode or a Mac.

I normally code in Windows, use Expandrive to map the iPad into my local filesystem, and Vim to edit code. However, there's an iOS build of Vim, so with a bluetooth keyboard and iOS SSH client (Prompt), I can comfortably code my game directly on the iPad itself.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!