• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
snaileri

Basic 2D Game Architecture

This topic is 2505 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello.
I have been learning game programming for the past year, and I have made some small tests and prototypes to test my skills (for instance a Tetris clone, a 2D platformer etc), and now I'd like to start building a bigger game. But I have a big problem - I don't know anything about games' architecture. I'm talking about big games like World of Goo, VVVVVV and Braid. I can't just start writing a game as big as those into a few of classes. I used only 2 classes in the Tetris clone I made, but now I really have to learn how to keep things organized in the game code and start learning some game architecture.

I hope someone can explain these things so that a beginner can understand what each branch in the game code should hold.
Some of the things a game's architecture should have (AFAIK) are

• GameStates

• MainMenu
    • InGame
    • InGameMenu(Pause, Round end)
    • etc
    • ResourceManager
    • Renderer

• Subrenderer

• CharacterRenderer
        • World's Static Objects renderer
        • btw, how to manage entities' rendering order?
        • etc

• Logic

• GameLogic
          • Simulation

• SubSimulation

• PhysicsSimulation
              • Ai

• PathFinding

• World Class
                • GameAccessPoint

• Init
                  • Input

Some of the things listed there might be in wrong places, but the point is that the tree is huge! and I need your help.

Advertisement
Well, it sounds like you're trying to bite off more than you can chew. Try just taking more little steps into making other games. I make simple games just for fun. If you want, you can check out my blog (see my old blog in my sig) for detailed steps of making a top-down 2D game. My Dev Journal has steps I took to convert that game is a Component Based Entity System. It might give you some idea of how I do these things.

I have written a component-based entity system, actually. The same project had a resource manager, and all the other stuff I mentioned in that list, but the architecture was horrible and it got really messy after a while so I froze the project. I have made these small projects to a point where now I need to learn a decent architecture to make bigger games. That's why I think I'm not trying to bite off more than I can chew. Even if I am, the guidance you guys give here can help the next beginner searching stuff on the forums.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!