Flash networked web game

Started by
5 comments, last by Fatarobot 12 years, 2 months ago
Hey fellow gamers,

I'm working on a new project for my gaming portfolio. It will be a flash game. Although I don't like Farmville, I figured it would be a good idea to use the same technologies that they do.

I believe Farmville is written in ActionScript 3.0 and uses CSS for its GUI, right? (Please correct me if I'm wrong). I've started learning AS 3.0 but want to make sure I'm on the right track (especially before I buy the IDE from adobe). Also, is there a specific benefit to implementing the GUI in CSS instead of inside of flash?

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
I do Flash game programming professionally and I'm not really aware that Farmville uses CSS for its in game menus (but I'm not sure). However I think Actionscript and Flash are actually great tools for rapidly prototyping a game and is currently the de facto standard for games on the web. Whether that remains in the near future is a bit uncertain with the push towards HTML 5 however I still believe it is a valuable tool to use for fast prototyping and maybe even for a portfolio.

You should make use of the Creative Suite demo before deciding whether to purchase as the investment is fairly heavy. I know you can do open source Actionscript development but I think you'd be limiting your potential to create great things without the Flash IDE.
thanks ss, I'm working off the trial version for now!
i suggest haXe instead of AS directly http://haxe.org/doc/intro

You should make use of the Creative Suite demo before deciding whether to purchase as the investment is fairly heavy. I know you can do open source Actionscript development but I think you'd be limiting your potential to create great things without the Flash IDE.

I'll take a different approach to this and say you should go with a regular IDE like FlashDevelop instead of Flash CS. In my experience actually coding the game instead of using endless timelines makes for a much better end product. If you come from a C/Java background having a real project workspace is going to seem much more logical. Now using CS to create your GUI and embed the resulting swf in your game is probably a much easier solution then trying to use something like ASwing to create a GUI progmatically.

If you would rather go the haXe route then FlashDevelop can do those projects as well.

I'll take a different approach to this and say you should go with a regular IDE like FlashDevelop instead of Flash CS.

FlashDevelop is a part of the Creative Suite. I don't really know anyone who codes in the Flash IDE. :)
Hmmmm... I advise you flajector or f-in-box - tools for converting flash to exe. it's help you make application that [color=#000000]will work excellent even if no flash player is installed. I use it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement