Game Mechanics

Started by
9 comments, last by Acharis 12 years, 2 months ago
Where would be the best place in these forums to get feedback on 'game mechanics' for your work in progress? Art ideas are still on their way so my 'file' will have no art at this point in time.

Tim
Advertisement
If you post stuff here in Game Design people are generally kind enough to critique it, both positively and negatively.
Thanks for that :)

Key words are I am still learning, but more feedback here will help me keep moving in the right direction.

BTW, I have posted it as an attachment due to everytime cut and pasting to here my words always need to be
respaced out and edited.
A word to the wise: sticking the file in a zip is obnoxious, because then one has to download and decompress it. And word documents are not terribly friendly to us Mac/Linux types - plus if you linked a google document instead, or save your word document to PDF, it even would let us view the file in a browser smile.png

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Sorry for the inconvienience on the Mac/Linux side of things, and will try and remember that for next time when uploading something to here for a viewing. You learn something new every day :)

Its in a zip due to the actual size of it btw...[size="2"][color="#777777"]20.77K...which was an 'easy' and 'quick unzip' even for someone like me who slowly is building up the computer skills.
I'm reading over your document now (which works just fine under LibreOffice in Linux :) ) but I'll tell you right off the bat before I finish, your title reminded me of a certain Dennis Quaid movie... :P
It is funny how a 'title' from the 'past' can relate 'solely' to someones elses eyes to a movie story and nothing else. Can I opt to say it searches quite well under google and hey presto, Dennis Quaid's flick is almost up at the top, if not at the top.

How did the document relate to 'games mechanics' is more what I am asking about if you were so kind to read it?

Already had dramas here at this site with 'titles' so that one is now dust, which is quite fine with me anyway, and will obviously be better off in the long run one would believe by changing it.
Oh kay, grumpy, I'm definitely sorry if I said something that offended you in my post, but rest assured I'm not here for drama and I really do want to help where I can. smile.png So, what's up with the doc, eh?

How did the document relate to 'games mechanics' is more what I am asking about if you were so kind to read it?

My first question is, have you posted some other information on this somewhere? Without any previous knowledge of what you're working on, I see it's an actioner in which the player wears a suit and learns certain skills. I see some interesting, specific descriptions of what the player gets to see as he plays, and that's awesome. I just don't know what the game is all about in the first place, I guess. smile.png

Besides that, I see a long description of the controls, but I don't think I can judge that.

I just don't know what the game is all about in the first place, I guess.

This! A brief intro (no more than 2-3 paragraphs) which explains the basic game and setting would really help to provide some context.

After reading over the whole document I've deduced that the player takes the role of a male protagonist named Jade (I assumed female at first -- it's an unusual choice of name for a male) who is in a coma and faces some sort of challenges in a dream-based reality. I'm not sure of the majority of that though, as it isn't spelled out explicitly.

What sort of view does the player have? Is the game first or third person?

I see the player is to be taught a number of basic skills... but the document doesn't say how they are taught? Some sort of on-screen prompt?

- Jason Astle-Adams

Yep, the player would be taught the basics at the start, and throughtout the game, by an on-screen prompt message that would be displayed in a standstill box at certain points that they reach. A 'pause' if you will.

A more descriptive detail of what the world will be (picture ideas wise) on it's way by me and worked on by me. All the 'names' etc are on a rough scale of things (including the title now), and funnily enough the 'Jade' name is actually my middle name, and the character has a bit of relation to my life...I have a brain tumour, and picture if you were to have an operation (biopsy) and it went wrong, you would be in a 'different' state, and also frame of mind when you awaken at certain times from your status.

My situation isn't in the frame of going so far that if my biopsy in real life would go to a 'coma stage', but when you have a lot of time to think of ideas you come up with ideas of 'what would happen if...' :)

The game is first person all the way through btw, not one change. So character introduction on a full scale picture will be on the cover, possibly the title page of the game, and on the case of the game.

Appreciate the reading and opinions :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement