what i have to learn to develop a game ?

Started by
8 comments, last by WillTice 12 years, 2 months ago
hello,
i dont know anything about game developing and i really want to make a 3D game for PC if any one can tell me what i have to learn and do i ll be thankful.

thanks in advance
Advertisement
If you know absolutely nothing, it would be a good idea to pick up a few beginner's books. Recommended languages are GML, C# with XNA, and AS3. You will NOT be able to program 3D games in a few months. This is a very common mistake people make; they think that programming is easy. It is not. You will have to start slow with 2D games first, then move into 3D.

Here's a book for XNA: http://www.amazon.com/XNA-4-0-Game-Development-Example/dp/1849690669/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328624828&sr=8-1
I think XNA is the best way to go, but if you know nothing about programming, I suggest you use a simpler, language, like GML or AS3.

Here's a link to a really simple IDE(Integrated Development Environment) called GameMaker. It uses a language called GML. http://yoyogames.com

Annnnd... if you want to develop flash games, try this: http://www.senocular.com/flash/tutorials/as3withmxmlc/
There's a LOT of flash development tutorials on the web, you just gotta look around. You also might wanna use a library with AS3, as that greatly simplifies development.

Just remember, game development is not for the impatient, so if you get into this, be ready for some (or a lot) of frustration. I wish you luck with your learning!
If you want make easy way 3D game, you learn 3D Game Studio or Unity or UDK...
But if you want write Directx, Opengl... You must start 2D game

i am using 3DGS if you want start tutorials here: http://tutorial.3dgamestudio.net/
and i learn Directx, my advice if you want make your game with Directx, firstly you must learn C++, later my advice buy Beginning DirectX 11 Game Programming book.
if you know nothing about programing, I would recommend going and buy a C# book and start learning programing first. If you don't want to buy a book I would highly recommend checking out the new boston YouTube channel, he has a lot of tutorials about programing.
Then after that go and buy an XNA book to start learning game development.

ontop of what everyone else said, there's alot that you can't learn but must have already.

1: Patience... it'll save you thousands on monitors and keyboards.

2: Creativity... rarely ever is anything done the same way.... every project is different and will require thinking out of the box to get working.

3: Lots of experience playing games or using varies other programs.... So many times I've been stuck on a problem only to play a game and realize the solution is right in front of me. Same with writting my UI, alot of the hurdles were over come by making UML's in starUML only to notice things about it's UI, and think "why didn't I think of that", problem solved.

4: Thick skin.... everyone is going to put you down, no matter how good you are. They are always better, even if it's not true. Don't worry you'll do the same at some point.

5: Willingness to learn... Sorry but you're going to be in the dog house for a little while. You're going to have to start from the basics. ie "hello world", "your base are belong to us" and so forth. 90% of those that jump straight to graphics programming, quit programming altogether in the first month.

6: the list goes on.

Despite my distate of C# and JAVA (I'm a C++ fanboy), they are rather easy to get started in and get a program running. Things that take me a week from scratch in C++, I can have up and running in a day with C#. If it wasnt for my code base in C++ I would be using C# more often.

On top of it all... stay positive, stay happy, and have fun.
[ dev journal ]
[ current projects' videos ]
[ Zolo Project ]
I'm not mean, I just like to get to the point.
Read this then pick a program from this list and get at it.

Two pieces of advice:

1- you can't skip the learning curve, don't bother trying
2- experience means everything, try and fail, try and fail, try and fail, succeed. That's how 99% of game developers did it before you. Don't be afraid to create crap, you are going to to start, it's just a fact of life. Start small, start simple, build on these successes.

Otherwise it's all about perseverance. The topic is difficult and complex and sometimes exceedingly frustrating, if you aren't willing to deal with some hardwork and frustration, you are picking the wrong hobby. Don't be afraid to ask for help, but if you aren't learning from the answers, you are doing it wrong. Don't look for hand holding, don't be lazy but don't reinvent the wheel.

4: Thick skin.... everyone is going to put you down, no matter how good you are. They are always better, even if it's not true. Don't worry you'll do the same at some point.

Where have you been hanging out? I mean, the internet is a cesspit of negativity, but I find when it comes to game development, the communities are remarkably friendly, welcoming and generally helpful. I mean, there are bad seeds out there, but they are in the minority. Even when people post their works online for criticism, the results are generally quite positive.

Now, if you come in with a know it all attitude, or show signs of extreme laziness you might elicit a pile on, but generally I find people extremely tolerant, especially in a forum where frankly, it boils down to the same 5 or 6 questions over and over and over. I rarely see negativity or hostility in these forums, even in the face of "I want to make an MMO in C++, now what?" questions.

Comparing this to the general hostility I see in forums like Slashdot or if I ( heaven forbid ) ever need to get help on an Apple product ( OS zealots tend to be complete dicks ), or worse... read the comments on a YouTube or political website... this place is freaking nirvana!

[quote name='freeworld' timestamp='1328638291' post='4910572']

Now, if you come in with a know it all attitude, or show signs of extreme laziness you might elicit a pile on,
[/quote]

I never said they're going to bash you... ok I sorta did. My appologies. I really worded it wrong. Youre quote is exactly what I was trying to get at with that one. It goes along with having the willingness to learn. What you think is right, right now, is most likely wrong. You're just going to have to suck it up and learn to learn from peoples criticism. Just because it sounds like they're being harsh, they're probably still right about what they said.

And yes theres plenty of bashing here on gamedev too, though the majority of it's aimed at trying to get someone straighted out with tough love. I've been coding for many years and I'm still learning of my mistakes, it just comes with the territory.

Just dont quit when some tells you your wrong. i would've quit from my first post here is I din't have some sort of thinck skin. My present self would've laughed off my former self.
[ dev journal ]
[ current projects' videos ]
[ Zolo Project ]
I'm not mean, I just like to get to the point.
thank you all for your help.

Don't look for hand holding, don't be lazy but don't reinvent the wheel.

By all means, if you are looking for a place to start, start with the wheel! It makes for a good learning experience to start with something that you know you can do. There's no shame in reinventing the wheel as a learning experience. Get out there, make your own engine. It won't be pretty and it won't be easy, but you'll learn something by the end.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement