• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ms75214

solid background in sfml

This topic is 2504 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Sf::RenderWindow::Clear(sf::Color Color);

That will clear the screen with the given color. So, it'd be used like this:

sf::RenderWindow App(sf::VideoMode(u32ScreenX, u32ScreenY, 32), "Game", sf::Style::Fullscreen);
// Clear to Green background
App.Clear(sf::Color(0, 200, 0, 255));

The creator of SFML provides a basic tutorial on using render windows which covers this if you'd like a little more information -- it also covers an easy way of taking screen-shots from your application.

You can find all of the tutorials for the current version of SFML HERE; they're pretty basic, but they do cover the basics of everything the API can do. From there you're left on your own to turn that knowledge into an actual game.

Hope that's helpful! smile.png

Sf::RenderWindow::Clear(sf::Color Color);

That will clear the screen with the given color. So, it'd be used like this:

sf::RenderWindow App(sf::VideoMode(u32ScreenX, u32ScreenY, 32), "Game", sf::Style::Fullscreen);
// Clear to Green background
App.Clear(sf::Color(0, 200, 0, 255));

when i said solid i meant an image with no holes.

In that case, just draw a sprite; if you find later on that you're having performance problems and that drawing your background is a major cause of those problems you can look into faster ways of drawing your background.

Unless you already know from past experience that a particular technique will be a performance problem and that it is avoidable by choosing a different technique you should just do something that works and then fix it if your program is too slow and a profiler identifies the technique in question as a cause.

Displaying a large sprite as the background shouldn't be a problem for games of simple-to-medium complexity unless your window is pretty large. I'm not sure how sprites are implemented in SFML, but if you identify the drawing of your background as a problem some potential improvements might include cutting your background up into a series of smaller sprites (to avoid re-drawing the whole background when only a small section really needs to be done) or using OpenGL calls rather than the sprite class provided by SFML.

TL;DR:
Just draw a large sprite. If you then find it's too slow for your game you can investigate possible improvements.

Hope that helps! smile.png

I'm not sure how sprites are implemented in SFML, but if you identify the drawing of your background as a problem some potential improvements might include cutting your background up into a series of smaller sprites (to avoid re-drawing the whole background when only a small section really needs to be done) or using OpenGL calls rather than the sprite class provided by SFML.

SFML uses OpenGl to draw all it's sprites.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!