• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
AoS

OpenGL Libraries for 3d Games

This topic is 2504 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What are the ideal OpenGL libraries for 3d games?
I see like 50 different libraries and people all have a different combination and its all very confusing.
Also what stuff like sdl and gml and stuff do I want?
Do I need to get into more specifics about features that I want before I know what libraries to get?

Also I cannot for the life of me find the link to the FAQ.

Advertisement
You can start with pure opengl, take a look at nehe tutorials for a simple start. From there on you need to decide which functionality you want to add without coding it yourself. I.e. SDL could be used to handle key input and setting up the screen, but I removed this lib and coded this functionality using the windows api.

There's no optimal lib list, it depends on your requirements. Start simple and add libs on your way when needed.

NeHe is full of annoying errors. I was following it for a while and ran into an apparently common problem about glaux.h. It was really annoying and I don't want to have to deal with that again because someone didn't update a tutorial.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!