• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Foniksmunkee

Weighted loot table

This topic is 2504 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all,

I have previously written a spawn system previously that used a weighted selection, that allowed me to specify the likely hood (in arbitrary integer values) that an enemy would spawn. I.e. first enemy may have a low probability of spawning and was assigned a value of 1, whereas enemy two may have a high probability of spawning and is assigned a value of 10.

Only thing is, I can't remember how I implemented it.

ID Probability
1 1
2 2
3 3
4 5

The obvious way would be to generate a random value between 0 and the max probability value, and then check which ID it falls on. This sound reasonable, or is there a well known method for doing this? :)

Advertisement
If your table contains the probability distribution, then you can easily implement this with a binary search of the cumulative distribution. Accumulate all probabilities

C = [1, 3, 6, 11].

Now generate a random number in the half-open range 0 to 11 (including 0, but excluding 11), and it doesn't matter if it's a random integer or decimal value. Search the vector for the first value that is greater than the randomly generated number. This can easily be done with a linear search, or a binary search if the table is large. The index of that value is the index of the object being randomly selected.

Or, if an object of Probability 5 is 5 times as likely to spawn as an object of probability 1, then you should add all the probabilities, and select a random number form that range. Then, check which value-range it falls in:

ID Prob Range
1 1 0
2 2 1-2
3 5 3-7

If you did it using your method, then probability 1, 2 and 3 would be exactly the same (all will only spawn if the random number is exactly that probability). Your probability 5 would have twice the chance of hitting as 1, 2, and 3 (since it would spawn if 4 or 5 is randomly hit). Like this:

ID Prob Range
1 1 0
2 2 1
3 3 2
4 5 3-4

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!