How Is My Layout Design for My Website?

Started by
7 comments, last by ajm113 12 years, 2 months ago
I'm currently working on a little underground general discussion website thats basically only going to be used for me, my friends and maybe their friends and who ever else wants to join in. So I'm not looking to make the best template in the world, but I was hopping to get some opinions on some changes I could do to tidy the layout up for the main page and for the threads?

http://censorthisforum.alotspace.com/

I do have a few question on changes.

1. Would Arial be a fitting font?

2. What color should the links be that would complement the color scheme?

Thanks, Ajm.
Check out my open source code projects/libraries! My Homepage You may learn something.
Advertisement
It needs more boxes inside boxes inside boxes where you put the text pieces.

And fancy gradient graphics all around the place.

o3o

Thats not a bad idea actually, the borders do need a little bit more of a style.

I'm going to have to find some tutorials using Gimp, it's been so many years since I've even touched php and html, I'm just kinda going back to a really old hobby.
Check out my open source code projects/libraries! My Homepage You may learn something.
It made my eyes bleed.

It made my eyes bleed.

yeah I should maybe change the background image to something else a little more welcoming...
Couple of things:

1.) Color scheme is painful to look at. The fire on the right against the black background hurts the eyes (and just seems a bit tacky to be honest). The red on black could work, maybe if it was a slightly darker red. The blue links on the red background was painful to look at as well.

2.) The borders on your block elements were a bit too intense, makes the elements pop off the page too much. Maybe backing down to a 1px border? Border color was OK, though I'm not sure about making it the same color as the main text though, can make things bleed together a bit.

3.) The beveled borders on the table in the actual thread are meh looking. Totally reminiscent of the web before 2000. Style those bad boys a little more

4.) The alignment on the nav bar was unusual.. it might look a bit better if it were centered or left justified and was equal length with the div below it. Right now it's kind of nudged over by about 50 pixels on my screen and doesn't appear to be lining up with anything.

Overall, your site needs more animated GIFs. I recommend a good MC hammer animated gif:

mchammer.gif
I went ahead and made more changes to the layout design. Removed the background adjusted the div boxes to stretch across the screen including the menu. I've added some more animation to the website. As you may notice the new logo. ;)

Right now at the moment I'm working on the tables on the website to look more fresh and better to look at.

There is a problem I'm not understanding though... The link colors aren't changing on some of the pages!

Here is my CSS code for the links:

a:link {color: white;} /* unvisited link */
a:visited {color: white;} /* visited link */
a:hover {color: red;} /* mouse over link */
a:active {color: white;} /* selected link */

I know it's been a very long time since I did CSS, but isn't that how you do it?
Haha, you did it. You put MC hammer on your page. Awesome work, sir.

I went ahead and made more changes to the layout design. Removed the background adjusted the div boxes to stretch across the screen including the menu. I've added some more animation to the website. As you may notice the new logo. ;)

Right now at the moment I'm working on the tables on the website to look more fresh and better to look at.

There is a problem I'm not understanding though... The link colors aren't changing on some of the pages!

Here is my CSS code for the links:

<div>a:link {color: white;} &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;/* unvisited link */</div><div>a:visited {color: white;} &nbsp;/* visited link */</div><div>a:hover {color: red;} &nbsp;/* mouse over link */</div><div>a:active {color: white;} &nbsp;/* selected link */</div>

I know it's been a very long time since I did CSS, but isn't that how you do it?

I think the reason your a:link isn't working is because there appears to be some stray CSS in your template.css file that could be tripping up the browser's CSS parser:

color: white;
overflow:auto;
}

That code doesn't appear to be inside any CSS style declaration and it's just kind of sitting in the middle of nowhere. It appears right above a:link. Remove that code and it should hopefully render OK after that.
Thank you! :) I believe that gif works really well for the website, I may just keep it like that.

And woops, I think I read too fast and may have not noticed that. :S

Anyways the website looks a better then it has, I may have to keep making adjustments on it on some of the pages such as the login form, so its more dynamic. :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement