• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
rubsnick

My professor is looking for the source code for one of two games.

This topic is 2503 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

#1.A game called "Survival", there are a lot of bubbles coming from above floating down and you're a ship of some sorts shooting at these bubbles. The bubbles collide with one another, and tada! They change their vector direction.

#2. A game called "Stargate", you're a ship it's similar to the last one but these blocks are falling from above. You pretty much just have to shoot these blocks falling from above.

I'm not entirely sure how these games work or how to make them but I I can't find them I need to make them. So any code in C++ would be greatly appreciated.... He said these games where from the 1980's arcades and should have free source code there. But I'm not quite sure if these games even existed. So yeah I'm just trying to figure out what to do or how to do it.

Advertisement
#1.A game called "Survival", there are a lot of bubbles coming from above floating down and you're a ship of some sorts shooting at these bubbles. The bubbles collide with one another, and tada! They change their vector direction.[/quote]

This would be "Asteroids" or one of its millions of incarnations.

#2. A game called "Stargate", you're a ship it's similar to the last one but these blocks are falling from above. You pretty much just have to shoot these blocks falling from above.[/quote]

Stargate.

Otherwise, it's any top-bottom shooter. On PC, Raptor is considered the be the pinnacle of the genre.

So yeah I'm just trying to figure out what to do or how to do it.[/quote]

Depending on your skill, replicating one of such games, without art, is a day's worth of effort. But considering the simplicity, there should be ample source code out there, but likely of very variable quality.

Original sources are definitely not in C++. Aside from C++ not even existing in 1981, arcades were absurdly limited in hardware and all effects were possible only due to special tricks or dedicated chipsets. It wasn't until 90s and general purpose PCs managed to catch up to those capabilities.

As such, original source, even if it is still preserved somewhere isn't of any use, since it's chip/model specific.

#1.A game called "Survival", there are a lot of bubbles coming from above floating down and you're a ship of some sorts shooting at these bubbles. The bubbles collide with one another, and tada! They change their vector direction.

This would be "Asteroids" or one of its millions of incarnations.

#2. A game called "Stargate", you're a ship it's similar to the last one but these blocks are falling from above. You pretty much just have to shoot these blocks falling from above.[/quote]

Stargate.

Otherwise, it's any top-bottom shooter. On PC, Raptor is considered the be the pinnacle of the genre.

So yeah I'm just trying to figure out what to do or how to do it.[/quote]

Depending on your skill, replicating one of such games, without art, is a day's worth of effort. But considering the simplicity, there should be ample source code out there, but likely of very variable quality.

Original sources are definitely not in C++. Aside from C++ not even existing in 1981, arcades were absurdly limited in hardware and all effects were possible only due to special tricks or dedicated chipsets. It wasn't until 90s and general purpose PCs managed to catch up to those capabilities.

As such, original source, even if it is still preserved somewhere isn't of any use, since it's chip/model specific.
[/quote]

Thanks I think he just mean current source code of clones. He mentioned any code not the real source code. Thanks for the tips... He mentioned bubbles and that game also being top down. But asteroids is close enough.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!