• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
3DModelerMan

Team names

This topic is 2503 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm starting a team that I want to call Icicle Games. And in my agreement that I plan on having team members sign, I would like to refer to the team name (for example: "All asset files become the property of Icicle Games, blah blah blah"). Is that allowed? Or do I need to use my name? I might end up registering a company (sole proprietorship) at some point, but I'm not ready to do that yet. I live in the US.

Advertisement

Read about collaboration agreements on underdevelopmentlaw.com (just Google that).

Oh man why haven't I found that blog sooner! Thanks XD

The answer depends on who will own the IP in the assets created by team members: (1) your company or (2) individual team members. If Option 1, you need a work for hire agreement. If Option 2, you need either a collaboration agreement or a license.

Obviously your team name is not a separate entity yet so you will need to either incorporate under the laws of your state or identify the individuals that own the company. Good luck!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!