• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
fr0st2k

Browser based webgame - "Managing Turns" in mySQL/PHP

This topic is 2498 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been attempting to teach myself THE WEB (html5, css3, ajax, php, mysql) by starting production on a browser based web game.

So far so good. However, I've reached a wall that I can't quite figure out.

If you are unsure as to what a browser based game is...one of the originals was Archmage, or "http://www.the-reincarnation.com/"

In this game, every 5 minutes, each player receives a turn, and they max out at 200, or some other arbitrary number.

I have no idea how I am going to accomplish this.

Stipulations:

-I want it to be a server-wide update. As in, everyone receives their turn at the same time.
-I can not use mysql event_scheduler. I am using a web host, and the hosting service has it disabled. At this time, I can not host a server on my own machine. Its just not feasible at this point in time.

event_scheduler is a mysql 5.1 addition, so it would appear many other games/including archmage have some other solution for granting turns and keeping track of time.

I can only think of really poor ways of implementing this, and could really use some advice. Thanks!

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!