• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
iam73

Flashing + see-through window with old game code ported to modern platform

This topic is 2502 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys,

This may be obvious to some of you but I'm still in the game programming learning process.
Working on porting an old DX7/1999 game to current platform/hardware.

The game works pretty much as expected so far, which is good. The issue I'm facing is with the game window. While in the game, it flashes every few seconds. There is also an intermittent problem where some windows desktop elements appear on top of the game (i.e. the start button). When this happens, as soon as a mouse click is made somewhere in the window, it minimize itself to the windows desktop.

While in the game wrapper (menus, options), this doesn't happen.

I'd like to able to fix this myself, as part of my learning process! I'd like to get opinions on what could be the problem and what I should be looking for. Pretty much need a lead for my investigation.

As said above, this is pretty old game code using DX7 and a mix of D3D and DirectDraw. I found a couple threads here regarding double buffering and locked surface, apparently that may be the cause, any thoughts on this?

I'm working on Windows 7 x64, using VS2010.

Please let me know if you need any details other than what is posted here.

Thanks a lot for your help,

iam.

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!