• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Tsume

Need open source games to jump directly into networking

This topic is 2497 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm really interested in the network aspect of gaming. What I'm looking to do is to take an existing game and remove it's network architecture and implement and experiment with my own and various architectures. I'm very familiar with networking but I don't know which games are available which will allow me to do this. I'm hoping to stay away from the whole game design side e.g. designing worlds, player interaction etc.

For my tests I'm looking on action based games like first person shooters and racing games. At first I was going to lean with Urban Terror only to find out it's not open source. I've only thought of OpenArena as I recall it's open source and various engines such as the Quake and Unreal series. If there is no other way but for me to get a game engine, will they be ready made templates of game worlds where I can just load them and start working on the network phase?

To sum it all up:
(1) I'm looking for recommendations for massive multiplayer online action based games where I can fiddle with the network aspect?
(2) If it's not possible to do as in (1) which game engines are best for me jump into the networking side?

Sorry I'm unsure if I should have posted in the networking subsection but there are so many newbie question here that I rather posted it here

Advertisement

I'm really interested in the network aspect of gaming. What I'm looking to do is to take an existing game and remove it's network architecture and implement and experiment with my own and various architectures. I'm very familiar with networking but I don't know which games are available which will allow me to do this. I'm hoping to stay away from the whole game design side e.g. designing worlds, player interaction etc.

For my tests I'm looking on action based games like first person shooters and racing games. At first I was going to lean with Urban Terror only to find out it's not open source. I've only thought of OpenArena as I recall it's open source and various engines such as the Quake and Unreal series. If there is no other way but for me to get a game engine, will they be ready made templates of game worlds where I can just load them and start working on the network phase?

To sum it all up:
(1) I'm looking for recommendations for massive multiplayer online action based games where I can fiddle with the network aspect?
(2) If it's not possible to do as in (1) which game engines are best for me jump into the networking side?

Sorry I'm unsure if I should have posted in the networking subsection but there are so many newbie question here that I rather posted it here

I am not sure why people (not just yourself) seem to get the impression that networking is something that you can somehow abstract away or add on after the fact to a game. Multiplayer games require the game to be designed in such a way.... Each element must work together to ensure the unity of the whole... Games require each element to work together in harmony.

As a result I fail to see how it would be possible to understand in any meaningful way how to implement a networking architecture WITHOUT understanding the design of the worlds and the player interaction! The design of a networking architecture for a game will be tailored around a set of constraints... taking into account the design of the game, the server resources/architecture, time frame avaliable, acceptable performance, connection speeds of target audience, security concerns, ect.

So I do not believe there is a network phase.... it is not something you just plug in, but something that is embeded at the heart of a multiplayer game....

Perhaps something like the http://www.heroengine.com/ is up your alley?

[quote name='Tsume' timestamp='1328963902' post='4911943']

To sum it all up:

I am not sure why people (not just yourself) seem to get the impression that networking is something that you can somehow abstract away or add on after the fact to a game. Multiplayer games require the game to be designed in such a way.... Each element must work together to ensure the unity of the whole... Games require each element to work together in harmony.

As a result I fail to see how it would be possible to understand in any meaningful way how to implement a networking architecture WITHOUT understanding the design of the worlds and the player interaction! The design of a networking architecture for a game will be tailored around a set of constraints... taking into account the design of the game, the server resources/architecture, time frame avaliable, acceptable performance, connection speeds of target audience, security concerns, ect.

So I do not believe there is a network phase.... it is not something you just plug in, but something that is embeded at the heart of a multiplayer game....

Perhaps something like the http://www.heroengine.com/ is up your alley?
[/quote]

Thanks. I'm new to whole the gaming aspect. I have read a couple of papers but since the papers focused on the networking side it seemed as you say abstract from the game. Thanks for clarification.

Follow up question. How do most people go about selecting which game engine to use?

You pick whichever game engine matches your requirements (budget, features, scalability, support, ect). Knowing what your requirements are comes with experience... If you are not sure, then you can just pretty much pick whichever one you like the best.

Most of the networking "brands" give you a very basic working implementation of their server and supply a documentation site/community.

Unity3d for example, the game engine, has Raknet server as it's "build-in" networking. You can go to Raknet's site and start using it on it's own outside of unity, it's independent. At the same time you don't have to use raknet with unity, you can write your own custom server, or choose from over a dozen+ "middleware" products. Those same "middleware" products don't require any particular game engine, you can use them on your own.

There are dozens of middleware products and I think almost every one offer examples + documentation.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!