How can I put text input and drop down lists in direXt?

Started by
3 comments, last by esgol 12 years, 2 months ago
Putting Text input and drop down lists like we see in games, its something which is done through windows programming and DireXt has nothing to do?

I rather doubt the the dropdown lists and boxes should had the Windows UI.

Or you put them from the windows libs and modify their aspect through DireXt libs?

Any idea-example or technologies-libs involved?
( not full code, after all I'm not at that point yet, I m just htinking of expanding my Labyrinth 2 game with interacctive menu for Fun )
Advertisement
You have to either write your own UI library (not recommended as its alot of work) or use a third party library for that, alot of AAA games use scaleform (Which is basically a library that lets you place flash GUIs inside an OpenGL or Direct3D game), there are plenty of cheaper or even free libraries to choose from aswell though.

If your needs are simple enough you can however implement a few simple controls (such as buttons and textboxes) yourself. (A button can be as simple as a textured quad that you change texture coordinates on when the mouse is on top of it or when the user clicks on it), text input boxes aren't all that difficult either (If you can render text you can make a textbox).
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
OH YES OF COURSE A button can be nothing more that a sprite which change color once from above and if clicked begina an action.

BUT FOR TEXT INPUT, since we need a "Text Area" with the cursor and all and to be stored somewhere afterwards ( if its an "Enter Host IP" ) I cant imagine how in a Dirext beetween the d3d-> begin.scene d3d->end.scene can that be implemented.

If simply in a space once clicked, letter texture quads (fonts) are put at representive key strokes, and what is put-written is stored by its representive chars to a var...

That could work.

BUT are tehre free libraries that let you quickly determine something as text box or drop down list and avoid all this "Re-invention of the wheel" ?
You can try Crazy Eddie's GUI.
Also no logic should be in between the beginScene & endScene, you should only do rendering there.
Wow thank yoy. Its hell of a good start. I will see what can I do
Wow its a good start thank you!
Something free for DireXt incredible.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement