I want to make a game

Started by
19 comments, last by menyo 12 years, 2 months ago
I always learn some aspects of a game program, and now I want to make a game so that I could really apply what i learn. But I have no experience, so if i want to make a game(FPS) like CS.

How could I begin it?
Advertisement
You have, atleast 3 options:

1) Learn how to program using a general purpose programming language (a FPS is not a beginner project, start with something less complex)
2) Mod an existing FPS game (Exact steps and level of difficulty here depends on the game you start from and your exact goal)
3) Use a high level game engine such as UDK or Unity (This still requires that you learn how to program to some extent but you should be able to go directly for that FPS goal and simply learn as you go, both engines have plenty of getting started documentation and tutorials on their respective websites)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Thank you, SimonForsman.

Do you think the samples in DirectX SDK are worth delving?
SOS
The DirectX samples are worth looking at if you want to get into graphics programming, I'd strongly suggest that you get a solid grasp of programming before you bother with DirectX though as it is not an API suitable for beginners.
Thank you.

The DirectX samples are worth looking at if you want to get into graphics programming, I'd strongly suggest that you get a solid grasp of programming before you bother with DirectX though as it is not an API suitable for beginners.

Now i work with early DirectX9(9.0 2002) version, the samples in C++ directory include just not enough explanation, how could I learn it?
SOS
This is not a chatroom don't bump your posts with a "SOS" after mearly 20 minutes, answers can take several hours or even a day or two here.

Google DirectX tutorials or buy a book on DirectX.
I have a question:

I am currently working with a group of 20 friends. You can consider us as indie game developers. We want to make a fps game but for that we need a little help as we are only at our learning stage. We have figured out how an object is made, textured and animated in 3ds max 2012. We know that XNA game studio 4.0 is good for us beginners as we know visual C#.net quite enough. But we cant figure out four things:

1) How this stuff works from start to end? As in a model is created, textured.........all the way up to the state that the model is programmed to do numerous stuff according to its animated stuff

2) Can you suggest us books so that 3D Graphic Designing, 3D Programming, Audio Editing becomes easy for us.

3) For the programmers: A game can be programmed in only one computer. But i want that our group of programmers should work together on one project instead of one programming and others just looking.

4) Are we lost or are we getting somewhere with this amount of knowledge as yet?

Note: Please dont suggest any game engine nor do we want to make one. We just want to make a game as cool as bf3 and we will work our backs into it to get it done.
Can you help us please? We will be greatful! smile.png

Regards,
Rayyan Tahir
The hard way:

If you have no to very little knowledge i sugest learning about C# first. Get the basics down, this will take you at least a weak or two, if you have plenty of time and dedication. Why C#? well it's a user friendly language with a lot of online content for it. You do have other languages you could pick from, search the forums for info on what to pick if your not sure about learning C#.

If you know the main principles of object oriented programming and feeling comfortable in C# you could start looking for a library that helps you creating a game. A very popular one for C# is XNA it has a very large fan base, i use it myself and i love it. But there are other libraries like SDL. Now you have to learn how to use these libraries and start from the bottom by making something like pong and tetris, you simple can't create a FPS right of the bat. You won't be making a FPS a fraction as good as counterstrike for many many months.

The mediocre way:
Download UDK, it's free untill you release a project. Once you know your way around in this awesome engine you will be able to start jamming levels together upon opening this app. Getting your own FPS out of this takes a little bit more work. In UDK you can do a lot of things visually, i mean without typing any code at all. But learning it's scripting language will help you a great deal in customizing your game. If you know C# you are even more flexible by importing code into UDK.

The easy way:
Use Hammer, it comes with Halflife 2 and CS2 is made with it (also with scripting and most probably adding axtra code to it). But it's the closest you can start off with to make something like CS.

Creating a game is not only about programming. You need models, textures, sounds, music, UI, stories, etc. Your not going to make a full game in a long while and thats why you should start off small. Get familiar with the app your using and start small, by making a game like pong or if you want to use UDK start off with a simple room then add a door then make a trigger for it, etc. There are plenty of tutorials out there for each app i mentioned above. Start learning and be dedicated, if you thought this was easy go open steam pick CS and press play and come back when your ready for it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement