• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MattProductions

Recommend a c++ book for game development

This topic is 2496 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys!

At school I'm learning how to program some small games using c++.
But due to the limiting game engine we're using, you can't do everything you want.

So now I'm looking for a recent book that teaches how to program specifically for games in c++.
All the books I found we're outdated and used the 2005 or 2008 version of VS.
And all of them worked with a command line (which seems pretty useless for games to me). I know the basics, so I don't need that
Is their a book you could recommend to me?

A huge tutorial on the internet is also very appreciated, but almost every tutorial I found we're way to short or just not to the point, imo.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
Rather than looking for one supertutorial or book try to break the problem down instead:

Ask yourself this question: What is a game and what makes it different from any other application ?
(Pretty much everything you do on the commandline applies to games aswell).

at the core a game is simply an application that:
loop start:
1. process input and other messages from the OS
2. update gamestate
3. playsoundeffects
4. drawgamestatetoscreen
loopend.
step 1,3 and 4 are platform specific (Allthough there are multiplatform libraries that cover those areas aswell), Neither of them is difficult though, (Drawing the gamestate to the screen can become quite complex if you want to get into advanced 3D graphics without the help of a premade engine though), if you want to get into 3D programming then a book on Direct3D or OpenGL will be helpful, (or google some tutorials on those APIs) , for 2D you can look into 2D libraries such as SFML.

step 2 is the hard part and is highly game specific, the games you make at school should teach you how to do this though, Start small and you won't have any problems.

Also, VS2005 isn't really that outdated, anything that works with VS2005 should work with the latest version aswell.

I must admit to having a similar problem as the thread's original poster. I've learned C++, DirectX 9, and the basics of the concept of a game loop type application, but in my case I'm a bit stumped as to where to go from here. My chosen books have left me able to make simple games, extremely simple games, but without more information on proper game design and coding, I feel like I'm re-inventing the wheel with every minor success gain. Successes that come few and far inbetween, too.

Is there any website, tutorial, or book anyone knows that might teach further game design/development concepts?

And, to answer the original poster, you might want to try http://www.gamefromscratch.com/page/Game-From-Scratch-CPP-Edition.aspx. This tutorial is for C++ and although it uses the SFML library, the concepts he uses can be used in any game. I just wish he went further, as he also only makes a simple game as an example.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!